View Single Post
#2: 10-09-2012, 02:50 AM

KeithS
Title: New Member
Car: '96 Outback
Send a private message to KeithS Find all posts by KeithS Reply With Quote
Mounting the Spoiler

At this point I painted the spoiler to match the rest of the car. Because the spoiler is relatively small, my guess is that a decent job could be done with color matched base coat/clear coat rattle cans. I happened to have a little paint left over from some previous collision repair work, so I moved out to the paint booth and painted it up (also painting a trash can Glacier White for mama ... have you figured out I'm kind of a hillbilly yet, ).

Pictured below are the parts/materials used for mounting the spoiler. The three black gaskets are what Subaru calls the "protectors" and cost close to $50 combined ... try to find a spoiler which has them already on it! The two black plastic "protector grommets" snap onto the brass upper pins on the spoiler ... DO NOT SNAP THESE ON UNTIL FINAL INSTALLATION!!! Not shown is the Butyl window seal (3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer, left over from a project on my F-150).

Gaskets, Butyl sealer and moulding tape ... The Butyl sealer is used to seal the three lower mounting holes, to keep water out of the interior of the lift gate. The two upper mounting holes are outside of the lift gate seal, so sealing these holes is not necessary.

Remove the moulding tape backing and carefully place the spoiler on the car. Snug down the three lower mounting nuts, and snap on the two upper protector grommets. Note the grommets are left/right specific (they are marked L or R), the tabs on the grommets face towards the outside of the car.

Reassemble the center brake light/lift gate trim, and you're good to go ...

Last edited by KeithS; 10-09-2012 at 03:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithS For This Useful Post:
camroncamera (10-10-2012)