View Single Post
#11: 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Han'sGT
Title: Dark Lord of the Sith
Car: '11 3.6R LMT
Send a private message to Han'sGT Find all posts by Han'sGT Reply With Quote
^ Ok initial thoughts...take into account I have less than 100 miles on them so they probably still have a little residue on them and aren't fully"broken" in.

Car: 2011 3.6R w/ OEM suspension except for 19mm rear sway bar. OEM wheels.

225/50/17
Michelin MXM4 94W vs. Conti DWS 94W
...if I were to grade 1-10

Comfort: M: 9 DWS: 7 (M feel much smoother as they are a LRR tire. M take bumps and impacts better...not as soft as OEM 93V Turanza, but they sucked in every other category)

Noise: M: 9 DWS: 7 (M are very quiet)

Dry Traction: M: 8.5 DWS: 9 (Only docking the M a half point. I only notice a difference during extreme cornering. Perhaps I just have more confidence in the DWS as I have 3 years exerience with them vs. 1 week. The M are just a tad behind in feeling secure the entire way through a hairpin turn at high speed. I'll take it....much more enjoyment out of the overall ride quality.)

Wet Traction: M:8.5 DWS:9 (Read Dry Traction)

Sexy: M:7 DWS:9 (DWS just more pretty although M have nice big blocks)

Other notes:

Side Wall:
Some people say the DWS have soft sidewalls. I've never found them to be an issue. I will say when you push on the side wall of the M you can see the tread block move with it, with the DWS the sidewall alone squishes in.

Highway Ride:
M:9 DWS:7 (DWS never felt fully balanced...could feel a bit nervous at times. Had that with the GT...took several times to balance them and get them feeling "correct"...but were worse this time around on the R)

Snow Traction: M:7 DWS:9 (Pure guess, but given my good experience with DWS in the snow and looking at tread pattern, DWS wins here)

Price w/MPG and Tread Life M: $728 ($182ea.) (online price match Mr. Tire) DWS: $552 ($138ea.) (Discount tire) Prices are sometimes lower w/ promotions, but using these prices for example.

Many people I've emailed or reviews I've read say it looks like you can expect 40-45K out of the M while probably 30-35K out of the DWS...which I would support give my experience with the DWS. For sake of argument we'll knock it down to 20% more out of the M instead of 25%.

So at 20% more tread life on the DWS that's another $110 to the DWS to get the same mileage as the M. Making them now $662.

Now if you factor in the M being LRR tires which should gain you better MPG. (Again a guess, but given tread pattern and tire purpose i think its plausible) I'll shoot low here...a mere 0.5mpg gain (2.5% at 20MPG). At 12000 miles a year you'll drink 600 gallons with the DWS and 585 gallons with the M. At $3.75 a gallon that's $56.25 a year. Add that over 3 years and the DWS cost jumps to $830.75.

Bottom line, I'm not sorry I switched. If you want to feel more of the road and need better snow traction go with DWS. If you want more comfort go with MXM4.

UPDATE:

Observation this morning. The smooth sidewall area on the MXM4 is taller than the DWS. From the lip to where the tread starts on the MXM4 is @64mm, while @54mm on the DWS. Same OD, the DSW tread just wraps around further. So I would guess under extreme cornering they may have the edge. Although the MXM4 has firmer sidewall so perhaps they would not flex as much...dunno.

Last edited by Han'sGT; 10-03-2012 at 05:35 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Han'sGT For This Useful Post:
dew2far (09-27-2012), DugsSin (09-27-2012), minuccims (09-27-2012), PeterJMC (09-27-2012), seiyafan (09-27-2012)