View Single Post
#1: 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
1996 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD 4" Lift

swcolegacyl
Title: Junior Member
Car: Subaru Legacy L Wagon
Send a private message to swcolegacyl Find all posts by swcolegacyl Reply With Quote

Hi, This is my 1st Subaru, a 1996 Legacy L Wagon AWD, 2.2L 16v EJ22E, Auto 4EAT. with 196,000 miles. An on going project car, fixing and upgrading. This car is originally from Arizona and does not have a speck of rust on it. It could use to be repainted at some point. she's burning about a quart of oil about every 10,000 miles. not bad, and i'm getting 29 mpg on the highway. So far total 4" Lift with a total of 10 inches clearance. I take her off road as much as possible.

I didn't care much for the automatic transmission when I first got the car. And I had considered swapping it for a 5-speed manual. Since I’ve discovered that the automatic is great for rock-crawling. I believe the ‘torque multiplier’ is helpful for the low range. Another mod I have done was to add a switch inside that allows me to alter the drive-train power distribution. A single toggle switch (DPDT) (On/Off/On) that controls the Duty solenoid 'C' on the 4EAT sending 12 volts for FWD (100/0), stock voltage for AWD (80/20) or 0 volts (50/50) power split front/rear.

Download - 1996 Legacy Owner/Service Manuals and other helpful PDFs I've found:
http://srvtelluride.dyndns.org/Subar...viceManual.zip

Work i've done so far:
--------------------------------------------------------
'95 Legacy Left rear tail lens
'97 Legacy Outback rear hatch lens/reflector
'97 Legacy Outback leather interior door panels
'98 Outback Panasonic Stereo
'98 Outback Front seats.
'98 Outback Rear sway bar
'98 Outback struts and springs (1.5" Lift)
H&R Trak Plus 15mm wheel spacers
Perrin Rear sway bar links with spherical bearings
Perrin Lightweight crank pulley
JDM Head lights, Projector style
JDM Side marker lights
K&N Panel Air filter
Amsoil 20w50 Synthetic Racing Oil and Amsoil filter
NGK Plug wires
Bosch iridium spark plugs
Oil pressure sensor
EGR valve
Skid-plate
Subtle-Solutions 1" lift kit
Greddy upper front strut stabilizer bar
15" Impreza rims with Firestone Winterforce 205/70/15 tires
2 sets of 3" 55 Watt Pilot lights wired to the High beams
Magnaflow Muffler with a custom cat-less exhaust and factory resonator
Yakima Roof Rack
Yakima BasketCase
Yakima Fairing
Uniden Pro 510xl cb radio
Garmin Nuvi GPS
ScanGaugeII
Interstate battery
20% Front and 10% Rear tinted windows
Painted the wiper arms with Black Krylon Fusion
Painted lower front and rear trim line and rockers with Black Krylon Fusion
Painted rear spoiler with Black Krylon Fusion
front sway bar links (factory replacement)
both front half shafts with new CV joints
front brakes, ceramic pads
timing belt
fuel filter
radiator hoses
every single light bulb replaced
Alternator belt
Wiper blades
Rear hatch gasket
New windshield
remove snorkus and cut huge hole for air intake below the air filter.
A/C works great. I live at 9,000ft, not much need for A/C so i removed the belt.

This car was stock and in pretty rough condition when i bought it, about a year and a half ago. I think I’m the 3rd owner of this car. The original owner kept impeccable records. I’ve got receipts for every little thing and factory servicing. The second owner ran the car into the ground. But she did have a major service on the transmission done. Including changing the seals. When i first got her the squeaks and rattles came from everywhere. Loud enough that you couldn’t hear the radio, if it worked. I knew the car had penitential after a major cleaning, vacuuming and removing about a hundred gooey stickers inside and out. The basic drive-train, engine and body were in good enough condition to make it worth buying the car. No rust, I’ve removed bolts that have not been touched since the car was built with ease. Where I live, I don’t need a car so this Subaru is mainly used for road trips, off road adventures and camping. She's in great shape now reliable and very fun to drive!

Found some older pics. A work in progress:

And a little bit later...

And now.

Last edited by swcolegacyl; 12-03-2013 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Vertically orienting pictures to avoid page run-off
Sponsored links