View Single Post
#10: 09-18-2012, 11:48 PM

fenominal
Title: Junior Member
Car: '05 WRX Wagon, '05 OBXT
Send a private message to fenominal Find all posts by fenominal Reply With Quote
1. I still haven't got around to taking photos. Part of this is due to the fact that the Mrs. hasn't gotten the car washed in weeks, and that she's gone all day every Saturday.

2. Got an OEM roof rack up top. Looks sweet. Kills mileage.

3. The rear tires went bald in less than 3000 miles. I bought them used; Michellin's in 245/40/18. I bought new Pirelli P Zero Nero's in the correct wheel diamater size of 26.7" at 245/45/18. Have tried to get an alignment with Mueller, and after some email back and forth with "Orlando," they seem to have dropped me. Part of this is due to the fact that my wife is not available to take car in on M-F before noon.

4. For two different reasons, the Mrs.' driving has gone from 95% city driving to 85% highway driving. We still have the roof rack on, but 20-21 mpg just isn't going to cut it, especially when it should be getting 23 mpg highway, according to the EPA. Wife is excellent on the throttle, so really, she should be in the 24+ mpg range. WHICH LEADS TO: Project Efficient Outback XT!!

Part of this is inspired by my Stage II 5MT WRX Wagon. With a recent tune, I went up +27 hp and +26 tq AND +3 MPG (260/247; 28 hwy). I want to do something similar to the wife's 5EAT OBXT. The plan:

a) Cobb AccessPORT w/ Stage I Pro Tune (California smog reasons)
b) Cobb SF Intake w/Intake Box
c) Cobb Post-MAF Hose
d) Grimmspeed Up-Pipe
e) Magnaflow CBE

Considering:

f) 3-Port BCS
g) Walbro 255 lph FP

Dreaming:

h) Perrin TMIC

For the most part, this setup would look stock (important to me). It would boost power into the 250 whp range (I am guessing, correct me if wrong), pass smog, and presumably bump mpg into the 26+ highway range.

WHY AM I WRITING THIS?!

I want to know what you have done FIRSTHAND. What is your EXPERIENCE? Are there items I should cross off this list? Are there items I should look into, like under driving pulley's or urethane hosings that would aid in efficiency? After all, a completely stock engine, such as I have, is not necessarily an efficient engine. Rather, it is a clean engine by virtue of passing emissions, and clean does not necessarily equal efficient. Clean, in most circumstances, equals restricted. I believe, though am not certain, that I can add power-adding features that, when driven very conservatively, ie. staying out of boost, should make the car run more efficiently.

Thoughts and ideas for discussion are welcome.

Last edited by fenominal; 07-04-2013 at 12:29 AM..