View Single Post
#14: 09-18-2012, 12:19 AM

BAC5.2
Title: OTM Dir. of Engineering
Car: Rental cars
Send a private message to BAC5.2 Find all posts by BAC5.2 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by '06GRPLGT View Post
Safety point is valid on the tails. I'll just say that I did them with a pro and we matched the brightness of the taillights to that of the 3rd brake light through 35% tint. With all three combined, it's very obvious when I'm stopping, and I don't have one light brighter or darker than the others. They look really dark in the pic, but they're actually not nearly that dark (and they look a lot better) in the light.

I was definitely reluctant to tint them, but if you look at stock tails on a red LGT, it clashes BAD. So I put a lot of time and thought into how I did them anyway. They're also WELL polished, so they're definitely among the better jobs I've seen.
Safety is the ONLY valid point on the tails. I don't care how badly they clash, how well they match the third brake light through tint (which is NOT a primary stop lamp, and is even less of one through tint), or how they don't look dark in the light. No matter how you slice it, you've made your car less safe for other people on the road. You have purposefully made your car, and your intentions as a driver, more difficult to interpret by other drivers. I'm sure they'll look just as cool when you are at-fault for getting rear-ended at night.

Tinted tails are foolish. No amount of aesthetics are going to change that, nor is how good of a job you did.

If you want a compliment, then you did a good job of not TOTALLY incapacitating the functionality of the lights by leaving a small section not tinted.