#13: 08-17-2012, 12:57 PM

GTWILLY
Title: Contributor
Car: 07' Acura TL
Send a private message to GTWILLY Find all posts by GTWILLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by naCAnItihS View Post
bump for a nice car.

but just an fyi a stock "rebuild" at a shop using a factory subaru shortblock will run around $5500 and with drop in forged pistons around $6300. An actual rebuild (someone taking the time to take this one apart get all the new stock components etc) will be somewhere near $7k+

but one could always source a good used low mileage motor for ~$2500

GLWS
I've been quoted $2000 to have my short block rebuilt with CE pistons and forged rods if I brought them the motor. If I brought them the entire car and asked them to do it all it would be closer to $5,000. That's why I gave that range. A stock Subaru Ej257 short block is about $2000 from the parts department. From there, an oem gasket kit is roughly $300, and having a machine shop clean a pair of heads is less than $200

Also: I would be happy to pass these quotes on to the buyer. They are in MD and the Subaru part costs I know because I used to work there and no those are not employee costs. With all that being said, I will be the first to say that whomever is going to buy this car needs to have a significant amount of mechanical knowledge or deeper pockets to pay someone who does.

Last edited by GTWILLY; 08-17-2012 at 01:24 PM..