View Single Post
#9: 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM

ehsnils
Title: Kafka was an optimist.
Car: Outback Diesel CVT 2013 (MY 2014 in US)
Send a private message to ehsnils Find all posts by ehsnils Reply With Quote
I have now updated the application. Same link as in first post.

What's new is that I have made improvements to make it easier to use by automatically filling in some of the data.

You can run the program without connecting it to your car as long as you have a Tactrix dongle.

To get started:
  • Unzip the downloaded ZIP file into an empty directory.
  • Run the EXE-file.
  • Connect your Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 dongle.
  • On the first page select Vehicle "Subaru" and Interface "Tactrix Openport Driver" and click on "Open".
  • Default is protocol ISO15765, 500kbps and no flags. This works with my car at least!
  • Click on the Connect button.
  • Click on the OBD-II button. This will open a new window with a lot of tabs.
  • The "Config" and "Filter" tabs shall already be filled in with data that works.
  • Start with the "Vehicle Data" tab. It will display a lot of disabled checkboxes. By clicking on the "Get PIDs" button in the "Current Data" box the application will send a message to the ECU in the car and ask which PIDs it supports. The answer shall then enable the checkboxes for the supported PIDs.
  • Underlined PIDs defines dynamic data that varies over time like coolant temperature, engine rpm etc. and that can be plotted by using the interval setting and "Start" button in the "Plot Current Data" box after you have checked the applicable checkboxes.
  • Snapshot data can be taken by checking the desired checkboxes and clicking on the "Get Data" button.
  • The "Freeze Frame" box will only be useful if the ECU has logged any Freeze Frame data, but it works in the same way as the "Current Data" box except that the data ends up under the "Freeze Frame" tab.
  • The "DTC Handling" tab allows you to list the DTC:s that are active. (This still needs to be tested and I haven't gotten around to trigger a DTC yet on my car, so it may still show some quirks)
  • The "Vehicle Information" tab shall provide you with at least the VIN# when you click the "Get Data" button.
  • The "Test" tab is an ECU simulator that injects messages to test the application.
This shall work with at least any Subie with CAN bus in the OBD connector.

For further information about what I'm babbling about I suggest that you also look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs and http://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ (It seems to me that the persons running that site has stopped working, but there is at least some good info there.)

Anyway - if you have some knowledge that you want to share please post it here.