Thread: Dohc ej22e
View Single Post
#11: 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM

DOHCEJ22E1
Title: Monkey
Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy GT-L powered by EJ22D
Send a private message to DOHCEJ22E1 Find all posts by DOHCEJ22E1 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99legacyturbo View Post
The 2.2 sohc heads flow terribly subarus worst flowing heads... The dohc heads flow sooo sooo much better alowing for more power, better fuel economy and a cooler engine cause the exhaust flows way better having 2 ports unlike the sohc heads that both cylinders share one port. So like dohcej22e1 said better power and mpgs witch Both are nice plus's
You are correct. These heads take in more air than the 22E heads in stock form but if the 22E heads were ground down & worked over, I think they would flow more air just about as well. However, the 22E heads that I'm about to get rid of are dual port (their last year as a dual port was 1995 before switching over to single port).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyfvholla View Post
FINALLY!

Finally someone decided to use my idea of 25D heads on a 2.2 block, even though it's not exactly the 22T block

How does it run NA? I can't wait to see how it turns out as a turbo setup!
I've done this once before but on a manual car & it ran pretty good N/A. Definitely felt more willing to rev than a normal 22E for sure. I lost a little on the low end from what I remember. I never documented anything from that car though since I wasn't really interested in that at the time. This engine will be more closely studied & documented while I run it in N/A form. I've seen that the 96 25D heads have larger intake ports but they also have the head chambers cut more closer to the EJ25 bore than the 97-99 heads. I don't think I'd trust those heads to be sealed on an EJ22 gasket safely. The 97-99 heads are more like the WRX heads than they are like the 96 heads. Either way, putting 25D heads on a 22T block would yield a compression under 8:1 & would most certainly have to be turbocharged as N/A power would be too low.