View Single Post
#3: 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM

LeGiT_Flat4
Title: Contributor
Car: 2005 BSM LGT 5MT 18g e85
Send a private message to LeGiT_Flat4 Find all posts by LeGiT_Flat4 Reply With Quote
I worked on mine today. If you're going to it yourself, make sure you have a good breaker bar or really high torque impact wrench to get the upper and lower strut bolts off. Those things were a pain even after soaking them with a ton of PB blaster. After getting the strut housing out and playing around with it a bunch, I figured out that I need a pass thru ratchet/socket for the nut on the top of the strut so that was the end of my fun for today. So I didn't really get very far so I'll have to try and find some time tomorrow. Also, I got the spring compressor tool from O'Reilly's through their tool loaner program. They require that you return it within 48 hours but I'm sure if you need it longer you can just take it back and then check it right back out for another 48 hours. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's anything too scary about the job (granted, I'm not all that far in to it yet) but seems pretty doable. I had checked Solid Autoworks' website for their pricing and it shows they charge $199 for springs but I'm assuming that doesn't include the inserts so I'm guessing it would would be quite a bit more for the whole job. Even if it was only $199 total, that's still a bit more than I'd be willing to pay for the job so hopefully it will turn out ok doing it myself. Here's a pic of my mess with the strut housing out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	123948