View Single Post
#1: 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Dan's $600 dollar 2002 Legacy GT Limited Sedan

2point5GT_Dan
Title: Member
Car: 02 RS Rally Car, 03LSEP DD
Send a private message to 2point5GT_Dan Find all posts by 2point5GT_Dan Reply With Quote
Hello all,

I picked up a 2002 Legacy GT Limited earlier this summer for $600 dollars.

Motor was blown, high mileage, rust, it's a basket case. Good thing I like working on subarus.

Bringing it home (I dropped the driveshaft to dolly it home)

Got it home and took some pictures of the initial damage;

Rusty trunk

Rusty inner door area

Rusty fender

Dented front fender

Day 1 did a tear down of the center console area and parts of the dash. It was filthy:

Gross switches:

Cutting up the rusty inner door area:

New metal welded in:

Sealed with chassis saver and waiting for a sanding and OEM color match spraybomb:

Dumped in a motor I got off a friend:

It runs:

Upon install, we noticed someone jacked the car up by the transmission oil pan. This is bad. It bends up and crushes important shift things inside it.

First drive of the car, motor was great, but the car was stuck in third gear.

Drop the trans pan!

Broken solenoid.

Bought a new one from the dealer and threw it in. The car had gears, but was bang shifting and staying in high gears. WTF

Pulled the codes and had a throttle position sensor issue. Swapped the throttle body off my dead ej25 that came with the car and the trans was sorted! Yay

After that it's chasing down the three check engine lights I have left. All of them evap related. I was told it was probably the filler neck, so I replaced that and the fuel valve.

New one painted with chassis saver:

Filler neck didn't clear the codes, but from what I've read on here, it's possibly an electrical connector near the charcoal box. Doing brakes and fixing that this weekend.

All that's left is:
CEL's
Brakes
Get the new tires mounted
Alignment
State inspection

Now the reason I picked this car up is to build it as a new daily driver. I'm comfortable working on subarus because of all the slaving away I've done on this:

My 2002 impreza RS.

The car is getting gutted and a roll cage once the legacy is done, and the plan is to run stage rally with it!

Thanks for reading.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2point5GT_Dan For This Useful Post:
boxkita (03-12-2013), Jacobpockros (08-01-2013), thaCrab (01-13-2014), Tr00b (01-27-2013)
Sponsored links