View Single Post
#1: 07-18-2012, 07:24 AM
"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

BarManBean
Title: Hicksta V2.0
Car: '05 OBXT 6MT - Cryotuned
Send a private message to BarManBean Find all posts by BarManBean Reply With Quote
CONTACT ME DIRECT HERE WITH ANY QUESTIONS: bptmic@gmail.com

WATCH THIS VIDEO FOR TIGHTENING THE STAINLESS STEEL TIES:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=83

Hi everyone!

For those of you who read this post http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rx-158870.html you already know what this is. For those who haven’t read it, if you are still running you 05-09 LGT or 08+ WRX with the stock TMIC I highly recommend taking the time to read through the thread.

This modification has been around for some time now as an alternative to those looking to beef up their stock intercooler (either for durability or for increased boost levels) for a reasonable price—not everyone has the cash or the need for an aftermarket TMIC in order to meet their needs. One of the problems with the kit up until now is that the fabrication of the metal pieces required for the kit is difficult, time consuming, and potentially dangerous to those without a reasonable amount of experience in cutting metal. While my second attempt and making my own kit was successful, the first attempt ended with a pile of bent metal and bloody fingers.

With SeeeeYa’s permission (Thanks, Jeff!), I have been looking at some scenarios to get a number of kits fabricated professionally by a machine shop and I believe this will prove to be the solution to providing these kits to those who need them at a reasonable price. I’m pretty confident that the machine shop is set to produce some kits for me, and I’ve been given the go ahead to move forward with this as a homebrew vendor to supply them.

Two kit will include:all of the required aluminum pieces for the kit, plus 2 stainless zip ties to use in lieu of any other sort of mounting hardware (bolts, threaded rod, etc). Pieces in this kit will be straight-cut on each end (instead of angled) and a “groove” will also be machined along the entire length of each of the longer pieces to hold the zip ties; they will not be drilled unless specifically requested. This kit should have everything you need to "bullet proof" your stock TMIC. It should be noted that the stainless steel zip ties will need to be tightened sufficiently, which may or may not be able to be completed with normal tools (read: pliers, vice grips, etc.). It's highly recommended that you purchase a "CV Joint Banding Tool" to use to sufficiently tighten and secure the zip ties--it will make things immensely easier and you can pick one up online for ~$10-15.
Video of zip tie installation with the tool: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=83

To confirm, here’s what will be included in the kit:

• Four (4) pieces of aluminum channel designed and cut to fit on the top/bottom of the stock TMIC where the end tanks attach to the core
  • One (1) piece of aluminum channel designed and cut to fit on the front passenger corner of the stock TMIC where the end tank attaches to the core
  • Two (2) stainless steel zip ties
  • Three (3) plastic zip ties
  • One (1) corbin clamp
  • Instructions for installing the kit
ORDER YOUR KIT HERE: https://sites.google.com/site/bptmickit/

Where can I get the tool to tighten the stainless steel zip ties???

A few choices: NAPA Autoparts, Amazon (
here here
, or I prefer
this one this one
).
I also think that some Autozone's rent them for "free" (you pay for it, then return it when you're done through their rental program).

VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT: The term "Bullet-Proof" when used in referring to this kit is not meant to imply that installing this kit will make your OEM TMIC impervious to high speed munitions fired from any sort of projectile weapon, device, machine or similar. This kit is only designed to prevent boost pressure from causing end tank separation, and nothing more.

DISCLAMER
Neither I nor the original designer of this kit can take responsibility in the case of damage to anything on your vehicle that results indirectly or directly from the installation of this modification. If you doubt your capacity, do not undertake the installation of this modification; ask for help or have it installed by someone qualified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1CDD86AE-AAFF-4CFC-A0DC-B9E84E4DCA9F-2522-00000358746E190F_zpsb91265f2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	177496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0357_zps6faf7d11.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	177497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0354_zps5a4f4c20.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	177498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0356_zps8dac759d.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	177499   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0355_zps25d5617f.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	177500  

Last edited by BarManBean; 03-20-2014 at 05:50 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BarManBean For This Useful Post:
.:Catalyst:. (07-18-2012), DeltaNu1142 (07-20-2012), GrayT (08-22-2012), jtc4313 (08-14-2012), laff79 (07-18-2012), Lucid (07-18-2012), Pako (07-18-2012)
Sponsored links