Inspired by ArcTec34's
matte black vinyl wrap, I started checking out some options... Matte black had already started to get played out (although I still love it), so I looked into a matte red or grey. I laid out a couple samples on my car; I already had a GRP wagon, and the grey took on a primer look that enticed me to grab some sandpaper. Finally, I stumbled upon something new that I hadn't seen before... satin color AND brushed metal texture! After waiting 8 months for a turbo that I decided was never going to arrive (which finally did after 1 year) and I had already sold my old setup, I needed a big project to keep me sane. I ordered these three samples to try out:
After placing all three samples on the car and observing each piece in various light sources, the brushed steel became the winner.
I had laid vinyl on large decals on many cars for my dad's body shop over the years, so I figured this would be easy. No need to remove anything, I was expecting to go over door handles, moldings, etc. So I invited a few friends over and we started on the hood. 4 of us tried to lay the vinyl over the hood... One person stretched it too much, another didn't pull it enough, and eventually I got pissed off and threw it out and gave up. Then I tried on my own to lay what was leftover from the failed hood attempt and see if I could make it work on top of trim pieces and what not... what a disappointment. Every trim piece would need to come off. Anybody that has taken a door handle off a Legacy knows that they are a pain in the ass. Everything else is just a lot of disassembly.
So, I gave up. Called a couple of local shops. I offered to bring them the car fully stripped and ready to go, vinyl supplied and all. $2000-$3000.
F*ck that! Then I came home from work one day and my girlfriend had finished my RBS rear lip spoiler and it looked killer. I jumped online and watched some vids and grabbed some of the scrap vinyl and learned how to manipulate the wrap.
I ordered a roll from a local supplier for about $550. Ended up needing a second roll and I still have some leftover for small projects, touch-ups, and interior pieces. I bought a couple of nice squeegees, an exacto knife with about 3 packs of extra blades, some 3M high-strength double-sided tape (for moldings, spoiler, etc.), and a heat gun. All in all, I spent about $1300-$1400 in supplies.
I took off every trim piece on the car so I could hide every edge and take my time to make it perfect. Bumpers, moldings, mirrors, handles, trunk trim, window trim, headlights, taillights, yadda yadda yadda.
Here are the results: