View Single Post
#32: 06-23-2012, 04:07 PM

atchipmunk
Title: Senior Member
Car: '05 BSM LGT Wagon
Send a private message to atchipmunk Find all posts by atchipmunk Reply With Quote
Yes...there is NO argument from me that a FMIC is better than a bigger TMIC from an absolute power standpoint and obviously from a heatsoak standpoint. For me, I just don't care for the excessive piping that runs all over the engine bay with a FMIC. The piping that makes several sharp turns from the compressor outlet then runs up the passenger side of the engine bay just looks like an afterthought. I like the much shorter and "cleaner" setup with a TMIC. Then there's also the argument of having a longer intake tract and it's possible affect on lag (which is debatable). For my future plans for the car (eventually maybe BNR 18g Stage 3 w/38mm recirculated EWG) the upgraded TMIC fit the bill with my intended goals. Were I gonna go bigger and badder then i'd have no choice but to go FMIC and deal with the compromises of the ugly (to me) piping.

As for heat soak...yes, no doubt heat soak will be an issue with the Spearco due to it's size and location (above the turbo). I think with some insulating countermeasures it can be kept to a minimum. I have plans for making an addition heatshield/duct that should help with that so it shouldn't be TOO big of a problem, but it's a compromise i'm willing to put up with.