View Single Post
#12: 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM

TwoTone
Title: Contributor
Car: 11 2.5i Premium 6sp w/ Leather
Send a private message to TwoTone Find all posts by TwoTone Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB5T View Post
Hey guys, let me say right now, never depend on that stupid electric parking brake alone. Ive gotten in a habit of parking in only neutral while engaging the ebrake...

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

I am very fortunate that this didn't happen anywhere else than in the safety of my garage!

I do recall reading a subaru "taking care of your car" mailout and correct me if I'm wrong, but it said to not park a car in gear because it strains the tranny? Do you believe this?

Obviously when on any grade at all, its unwise to only use 1st to R, but is it overkill to just get in the habit of using BOTH the ebrake and tranny from now on?
Thanks
Yes it will if you leave it in gear and let it hold the weight of the car.

The proper way is to hold you foot on the brakes, set the ebrake then release the brakes.

This is even true for an automatic. The parking pawl is not designed to hold the weigh of a vehicle either. You put it in park while holding the brakes, set the parking brake then take you foot of the brake.
The Following User Says Thank You to TwoTone For This Useful Post:
HERB5T (05-01-2012)