View Single Post
#29: 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

jazzymt
Title: The Gadgeteer
Car: '05 OBP LGT
Send a private message to jazzymt Find all posts by jazzymt Reply With Quote
It's not Legacy, but it's automotive.

Most embarrasing (and potentially lethal) mistake I ever made was pulling the driveshaft from my 2500 HD Silverado while it was parked in the garage. I had already pulled it once to change the U-joints, but it was shaking at highway speeds so I pulled it again to take it in and get it re-balanced. I was in a hurry though & didn't bother to jack it up this time & put on stands - there's enough room under the truck to slide in with a creeper. As soon as I popped it out this time the truck started rolling forwards with me under it.

It took me a second in my upside-down view to realize what was happening because I was moving with the truck (which encompassed nearly all of what I could see) and it seemed for a second that the garage was moving. WTH? quickly changed to - Oh $#!T Talk about a moment of panic!

Thankfully the incline was very slight and rolling with the truck on the creeper gave me enough time to figure out what was happening and throw myself away from the truck as it rolled onto the gravel where the creeper would have stopped, but the truck would have potentially rolled over or pinned me.

I always wondered how idiots could die having their vehicle roll over them, but I'm in no position to judge now. Be safe - use jack stands & wheel chocks! My guardian angel must have been looking out for my dumb ass that day.