View Single Post
#244: 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM

PutnamCO
Title: Contributor
Car: 06 LGT BNR 68HTA E85 6MT
Send a private message to PutnamCO Find all posts by PutnamCO Reply With Quote
Thanks for your info. My reasoning behind the build is that I will be starting full-time school soon and will have much less time and money to fix anything that breaks in the next 2 years. I have flip-flopped on this decision for quite awhile, and am not 100% set on doing the build, but it seems like a good idea. I suppose I could just keep the money I've saved in case something happens, but I like the peace-of-mind of knowing that a catastrophic failure is less likely.

On the other hand, if my engine has made it 70k miles (bought it with 30k) with me driving WOT to redline 5-20x per day, maybe the parts most reported as failing in our cars (ringlands and bearings) are not as prone to failure in my engine as in others who have reported failure.

The OEM replacement rods can be found for around $100 from people who have done a built on a new engine. I saw that GTTuner used Wossners, which he recommended due to the huge ringlands, which appealed to me. I'm not set on them as much as I am sure I will use 4032 alloy for longevity sake.

Very impressive about both STIs.