View Single Post
#14: 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

broknindarkagain
Title: ProGun & ProLife. So What
Car: 93BC - 95BD - 97BD - 98BG - 96BG
Send a private message to broknindarkagain Find all posts by broknindarkagain Reply With Quote
TOOLS

Sockets
3/8 Drive
8 through 19mm will cover most jobs. You want both deep and shallow sockets, preferably 6 point to avoid rounded off bolts. You can buy a complete set of Great Neck sockets 8 - 19mm that includes both deep and shallow for $25 from Autozone.
1/2 Drive
You will especially need 1/2 drive if you plan on doing suspension work. I've had the best luck with impact rated sockets because they are stronger. You can buy the cheap sets from Harbor Freight and they usually hold up just fine (as long as they are impact). You're going to want to get at least 15mm - 24mm
Ratchets
I've always personally used Husky ratchets. They are pretty cheap, and they are VERY tough. As well, they carry a lifetime warranty. You will want to get both a 3/8 drive and a 1/2 drive
Pliers
Various pliers are needed for many different things. You can buy a 8pc set of pliers that would work just fine for about $10 from Harbor Freight
Wrenches
Standard Box Wrenches
You're going to want to get a set of 8mm - 19mm. My set is Kobalt and I've had it for a few years. I've pretty happy with them. As well, 21mm, 22mm, and 24mm come in handy sometimes too. However, I can't think of anything off the top of my head on a Legacy that needs these sizes.
Ratcheting Wrenches
I don't believe in using anything other than Gearwrench branded ones. I've used all of them, and Gearwrench seems to be the only ones that hold up to the abuse (besides Matco or Snap On). Sears has sales on them occasionally where you can pick up a set for about $35.
Extensions
You're going to want various extensions in both 3/8 and 1/2 drive. As well, swivels are a good thing to have.

Other things that come in handy are PB Blaster, a pipe to use as a cheater bar, assorted screwdrivers, vice grips, a c-clamp, etc.

Last edited by broknindarkagain; 12-04-2015 at 02:47 PM..