View Single Post
#1: 06-17-2011, 08:16 AM
My New Project: Building a S401

sixspeedlegacy
Title: Contributor
Car: 01 GT till I can start my 2010 project
Send a private message to sixspeedlegacy Find all posts by sixspeedlegacy Reply With Quote
Hey Everyone,

I posted this over on NASIOC where I have a bit more history but figured the legacy crowd would also enjoy this build.

My car is a 2001 with only 39k on it, however since it has essentially been a constant project from 2004 and up it has never really been complete. For example:
Since I went back to stock motor I have had a constant CEL since I have a TCU hooked up but no auto transmission for it to control. I have no cruise control and no air conditioning. I have a tape player but the other 2 DIN slots are wide open. My speaker grills are missing and I only have 2 front speakers installed. I have various interior panels missing and no spare tire or trunk floor. I could go on I'm sure...

I entertained the idea of the new Subaru coupe when it was rumored to be AWD and turbo, which unfortunately did not happen so that will not happen.
I then decided to utilize my 2001 chassis with only 39k on it and build a car I've always wanted for cheaper than I could ever buy a similar car outright.

I have forever held the S401 as the ultimate car and ultimate Legacy for my model year. Although I can't build an exact replica of that car I would like to build my own version utilizing a USDM STi drivetrain.

Since I am essentially buying a "new" car(but building it), I had some criteria:
1. 100% OEM reliability, working cruise control, working A/C, No CEL's, 100% factory looking swap.
2. All parts must have equal or lesser miles than my current vehicle

With those criteria in mind I began my hunt for a suitable drivetrain. After bidding on a few salvage cars and losing I realized I likely would not find a salvage STi with low enough miles and an unquestionable drivetrain in my price range. I then found a 2006 STi drivetrain with less than 29k miles and snagged it off ebay.

Originally I had planned to bid on a salvage turbo baja and just swap that drivetrain and call it a day. However, after I thought about it I knew I would not truly be content unless I had a 6mt back with all the supporting hardware.

I am planning to swap an entire 2004 Baja wiring harness and run a 2004 Sti ecu. For DCCD I will have to run a DCCDPro unit because having looked at the wiring diagrams this will be the easiest and cleanest way to do it. My goal is to have minimal splicing and wiring needed which is the reason to use the Baja harness since it uses the same manual HVAC and airbag setup.

The swap will start out stock to shake everything down and make sure I have no CEL's. Then I'll move to stage 2 after everything is good and stop there.
Special delivery:

2006 STi motor

My car looks on its future 6mt. I wanted a 2006+ for the better syncros and bit better gearing. The 2007 gearing would have been ideal but the final gear is the same and I don't care about drag racing, only in school zones. I previously had a 2004 six speed so this will work just fine.

And the fun begins...some gems from the previous owner makes me wonder if this was just for gauges. I'll definitely be doing a compression test as soon as it has its first heat cycle. Luckily the seller has granted me a 30 day warranty from the day I actually start the motor, so far the customer service has been top notch.

This was babied right? Should a clutch with 29k miles on it look like this? One of the reasons I'll be doing a compression test.

With my luck the motor will end up being blown after I finish it all but I'm trying to stay positive and definitely feel like if there is an issue I at least won't be hung out to dry by the company I bought it from so that is a positive.

Much more updates in store. In reality I likely won't be able to finish this until the end of July/August with my summer schedule but I'll be doing work as I can.

Ben
Sponsored links