View Single Post
#6: 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM

rad.rac3r
Title: Contributor
Car: 05LGT, evo16G, cryotuned, other stuffs
Send a private message to rad.rac3r Find all posts by rad.rac3r Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumfoo1 View Post
i would use an air to water intercooler core and decompress the r22 into the "water" side and have the air still run through the air side...

the compressor running will negate most of your hp gain but if you could accumulate cold, compressed refrigerant and then release it during boost it would defiantly make power.

p.s. i'm an hvac designer/commissioning agent
Awesome, an engineer. Mind if i pick your brain a little?

Maybe you could elaborate a little more on how the compressor would negate the HP gain? I guess i left out also having a spare battery in the back. This whole system would be separate from the care entirely; short of the thermostat. Re-reading what you said does make sense though..but "releasing" it during boost, where would you store that evaporated refrigerant.

In regards to the air to water intercooler, im not very familiar with those systems, so how does that come into play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Interesting, hadn't thought about this approach.

Rather than running the A/C compressor side off the engine, where it's completely parasitic, how about using one of the small Hybrid/Electric car A/C units that run off the battery. Then it could truly be an on-demand system independent of the vehicle's cabin A/C.
Not running of the engines compressor, but having something stand-alone. So yes, like the battery powered A/C units, and still on demand based on outlet temp. Although, im not at all familiar with a/c units in cars.

for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflux-48-vo...item3cb3cefbe4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010218.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	101120  

Last edited by rad.rac3r; 06-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: pictures