View Single Post
#3: 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM

JoeFromPA
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 06 Civic SI, 08 LGT 5-spd
Send a private message to JoeFromPA Find all posts by JoeFromPA Reply With Quote
Good stuff. A few thoughts:

1. Continental had the contiextremecontact out for a long time before they introduced the DWS product. The older tire was considered a UHPAS.

2. UHP a/s tires make sense to me as someone who wants sufficient performance for everyday combined with modest flexibility in light snow AND low temperatures. I live in PA - do I want to run snow tires ~5 months a year when we're in freezing temps? No. I want a tire that does well in late fall and early spring. Such a tire is neither a snow tire nor summer tire. And since all-seasons remain sufficient for my needs the other 6 months of the year (compared to how winter tires function in summer and vice versa), they fit my needs well.

Additionally, look at Michelin. Their new pilot sport a/s are rated for 50k miles in many performance sizes. And you are getting 96% of the performance while going quite a long ways. I will say that I have 42k on my Honda Civic's michelin pilot exalto a/s (high performance, not UHP) and they are still going strong despite alot of beating....the value I've gotten out of them makes up for alot.