View Single Post
#5: 05-13-2011, 06:27 AM

BAC5.2
Title: OTM Dir. of Engineering
Car: Rental cars
Send a private message to BAC5.2 Find all posts by BAC5.2 Reply With Quote
It has to do with engagement.

For a given force, pressure is inversely proportional to area. A decrease in area, means an increase in pressure.

So full-face clutches are more easily modulated than puck/pad style clutches. But they can't hold as much power.

I want a full-face, because I don't race the car and I don't intend to. I won't be making more than 300whp with a 5-speed still in it, and I won't be launching it either. Puck/pad clutches are also typically noisier than full-face clutches, and this isn't a race car.

Full face clutches also have more surface area, so they heat up less readily and have more material so they wear less quickly.

I had an unsprung 4-puck in my old car. It was easy enough to drive every day, but it was just too aggressive and unforgiving for a relaxing "GT" type car.

The FX200 intrigues me, because of the carbon kevlar face material. The wear life on kevlar based materials is typically astronomical as long as they don't overheat. Once overheated and glazed, they don't tend to return back to their original state like an organic full-carbon based clutch will (where you can "wear off" the glaze).