View Single Post
#13: 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM

SeeeeeYa
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 2015 GBP CVT WRX Ltd
Send a private message to SeeeeeYa Find all posts by SeeeeeYa Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnguyenbb6 View Post
I've gone way past stage 2 but for the sake of discussion...how is less resistence/freer flow bad?
The better an intercooler the lower the output temperature. The lower the temperature the lower the psi, as cooler air takes up less space than warmer air. Just because a big heavy bar and plate has a, relatively, low pressure loss does NOT mean it is more efficient. A straight pipe would enable the maximum psi output of the turbo to the engine...

The tube and fin design of stock intercoolers is unexcelled, size for size and weight for weight. Personal logging has confirmed my stock TMIC does just fine at high Stg2 levels, which in the WRX is in the 300 whp vicinity. Many many people are and have been happy with these cars at this level for years. Now that I have the TMIC and BPV taken care of, along with clamping all my vacuum/boost lines, I'm enjoying my car with a greater sense of security.

The AVO TMIC was often shown installed with an AVO turbo making 300ish whp. It's expensive. It's heavy. It is not as efficient. And it in the final analysis, despite its or Perrin's claims, becomes a bottleneck for power not much further down the road.... the road I'm not soon going down.