#7: 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Apex-XT
Title: Member
Car: '06 OBW-XT Ltd
Send a private message to Apex-XT Find all posts by Apex-XT Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by underground000 View Post
+1 to what fish said
Bring it to the dealer and see if they can pull any transmission codes. Transmission codes wont always set a check engine light.
I had the 2-3 hard shift, and there was a code for me but no light came on. They made the TCU relearn and now its fine
+1 on This....

5EAT, 150k mi.

I had *very* hard shifts from 1-2 and noticeable 2-3, sometimes slamming in 1-2 so hard I thought the trans would rip itself out. I took it to a local independent shop who researched it thoroughly and said that the 'learned' codes were gone. They made it relearn and it's driving like it did when new.

Note they were adamant about using the right trans fluid - Subaru Synthetic ATF - the high performance stuff made for the 5EAT.

Does anyone know the procedure for 're-learning'?

My dealer didn't find this, but simply did a fluid swap and checked to see if there were SW updates. This happened twice over about 60k miles.

The last time, I did the drain/fill/drive x3 with Subaru ATF and changed the trans filter (on the fender behind the battery) even though the filter is supposed to be a 'permanent' item. It's a spin-on like the oil filter. I also added a can of BG AT+ transmission friction modifier. When this didn't solve the shift, I took it to the independent shop. Glad I did. They're Super Rupair in Boulder, CO if you need them.

Last edited by Apex-XT; 03-18-2011 at 10:16 AM..