View Single Post
#5: 11-11-2010, 07:51 AM

MatsuDano
Title: Dick Rivers
Car: 08LGTOBP5EATSt2.1
Send a private message to MatsuDano Find all posts by MatsuDano Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I'm looking to do the same thing, Dano. Something like the Galaxy Tab would be perfect, but I'm not planning on spending that kind of money for a CarPC. Something eventually will come out and fit the bill. The only few issues I'd see with an Android based system is:
  1. Storage size: You're limited to a 32GB SDHC Card? It'd work for me, but maybe not you.
  2. Front End: Ideally I'd want a car-friendly front end. It really wouldn't be hard, as android already comes with a Car Panel type thing -- but just in case this isn't enough, I guess someone would have to code it.
  3. Power Control: Turning the system on and off with ignition. Might be a bit tougher than using existing controllers that are out there. Otherwise, you could always just wire a switched +12V (w/ dc/dc converter) for charging, and manually turn the system on and off each time.
Meh, it'a not so much that it would cost a good amount, I just don't want to get hosed by buying something on the cusp of a technological paradigm shift. Samsung's Hummingbird proccessor is on the way out and Orion is coming up quick. I don't want to blow $600 on something like that.

Good points on those caveats. A 32 GB SDHC is limiting for some, but I think you and I are on the same boat. And yea, android's car mode is pretty anemic but I plan on either running Navigation, Music, or Torque apps. Especially Torque.

The thing I don't understand is your power control point. When I start the car I don't want to have to wait a few minutes while the software boots to post. I figured the tablet would have somewhat of an "always available" function, sit at idle for hours while the car is off, then charge via usb when the car is running and the battery needs it. I'm not sure I understand why you would need the system off at all
The Following User Says Thank You to MatsuDano For This Useful Post:
nightspeed98 (02-18-2011)