View Single Post
#14: 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM

05GTWagon5MT4Sale
Title: New Member
Car: 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5 speed
Send a private message to 05GTWagon5MT4Sale Find all posts by 05GTWagon5MT4Sale Reply With Quote
Please allow the mind-bending PITA bear to provide some context:

A truly paranoid person wouldn't have done business with someone with the buyer's pseudonym and avatar, but the buyer kept asking questions indicating that he was a serious prospective buyer such that we maintained communication.

And what the buyer regards as paranoia, I regard as due diligence. Cashier's check fraud is real (a coworker of mine almost got burned by one since they can look like the real thing and even fool bankers), and I wasn't about to hand over the my title and keys to a complete stranger for a worthless piece of paper. Furthermore, it turns out that the depositor is on the hook for a counterfeit cashier's check, and I wasn't about to put myself in that position.

Both parties in a vehicle sale bear some risk, not just the buyer. Had we conducted the transaction through Escrow.com as originally agreed, we both would have had an easier time and felt more at ease with the transaction since that service protects both parties. Since the buyer's bank in TX doesn't allow the use of an escrow service, we had to figure out some other way of transferring funds. I had given the buyer several other options such as Federal Reserve Funds wire transfer, cashier's check drawn on a bank with branches in GA (a least a few with branches in both WA and GA), and, yes, cold hard cash. Laugh about cash if you like, but I'll accept greenbacks any day.

Unfortunately, buyer in WA was locked into his own bank in TX which would disburse funds only in the form of a cashier's check. To make things even more complicated (more complicated than an out of state buyer with a check issued from a bank in yet another state), the check was going to be "sponsored" by a different bank. Does that sound fishy to you? I talked with representatives of both banks, and at first, none of them had heard of such an arrangement. So, you might understand if I was being difficult with the buyer for which I make no apologies. Fortunately, the buyer provided evidence of his real identity as well as a scanned image of the cashier's check that I was able to use to verify with his bank.

Both of us had something to lose in the sale, and both of us had to work hard to make it happen. We both learned a lot, but probably neither of us would care to repeat the experience.

So let the buyer beware and seller beware, too.