View Single Post
#11: 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Brock Samson
Title: Senior Member
Car: BSM LGT 5MT Wagon, BNR 18g
Send a private message to Brock Samson Find all posts by Brock Samson Reply With Quote
I abandoned the plan to do this purchase sight unseen- This transaction was a real bear to deal with too, the seller has been very paranoid about cashier's check fraud. So instead of paying escrow fees and transport of the car, my wife and I are flying out to pick it up.

Shockingly, one of the things I've learned is that it is easierif the car you're buying has a lien from a bank still on it. Then the your bank can talk to the seller's bank and get things organized between them. Keeps you and the seller (and your weird quirks) out of the process.

The other easy way to deal with this would be to have cash on hand, and use escrow.com to complete the transaction. Had I known this would improve the process so much I would have said 'screw the credit rating' and done it this way.

I did have a independent mechanic do an inspection of the car and take a bunch of close-up photos of different problem areas, and then spent a good amount of time on the phone with them talking about different issues with the car. Everything jived with what the seller had indicated. Of course, there's no way for me to know if the seller just slipped the mechanics a couple hundos to agree with him.

Anyway, I'll see the car tomorrow. Even if it isn't as advertised, given the price point of the car, the # of miles(low!), and general condition (also its rarity- not a whole lot of 5MT LGT non-LTD wagons out there) I can probably resell it for a profit in our rock-hard PNW Subaru market.

Last edited by Brock Samson; 07-13-2010 at 10:34 AM..