View Single Post
#1: 02-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Possible failing water pump?

DavidPHumes
Title: Member
Car: 2005 LGT Limited 5MT
Send a private message to DavidPHumes Find all posts by DavidPHumes Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I just picked up my 2005 LGT LTD 5MT from the dealer 3 days ago. It has 126k on it but they took it in on trade with what they thought to be minor motor issues. I agreed to purchase the car pending a test drive, so they went about fixing it. Anyway, they put almost $7k into the motor and almost all parts are new. I only paid $9k, so I basically stole it. I digress...

Tonight when I was driving around I revved it up a little higher than I'd have liked (4k) and heard a very distinct whining noise whenever the throttle was applied. I pulled over and popped the hood for a visual inspection - everything looked just fine. No weird smells. Checked the oil and it looked great and was of normal levels. Then I heard it again.... the whining was still there but sounded more like a gargling sound. I immediately thought water pump and had a friend give a second opinion. He agreed. If you touch the outside of the pump on the timing over and have someone rev the engine a little, you can feel it move in a very non linear manner. I'm thinking the bearing in the pump is bad. Do you agree? Everything else is as smooth as silk and power is right where you'd expect.
Sponsored links