View Single Post
#28: 02-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Boostin
Title: Monkey
Car: 1977 280z Turbo
Send a private message to Boostin Find all posts by Boostin Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTuner View Post
The author repeatedly refers to "silicone" in the pistons. That instantly makes me doubt his credibility. (silicon is the proper term)

Note he only refers to "all motor" in recomending cast pistons. 4032 is much stronger than cast, period. Detonation will kill any piston regardless of it's composition. I still feel the 4032 is a great choice for a DD. You can run OE clearance and get the long service life without beating the crap out of the cylinder walls.
Just because Stephen Hawking can barely function doesn't make him any less of a genius. This guy made a 1-letter typo, and anyone reading the article knew what he meant. This is an article explaining the differences between a typical forged piston and cast, and makes people aware of the differences. I feel it is beneficial to note that 4032 pistons are more prone to causing ring lands, but 2618 pistons have sloppier tolerances and will wear down the block faster due to piston slap. I just wanted to point out the pros and cons of each. But keep in mind, this article was written for naturally-aspirated Honda all-motor builds, not turbo applications. It was a good resource to point out the facts.

Last edited by Boostin; 02-09-2010 at 01:11 PM..