View Single Post
#18: 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

JoeFromPA
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 06 Civic SI, 08 LGT 5-spd
Send a private message to JoeFromPA Find all posts by JoeFromPA Reply With Quote
I'll add that on BMW e39 M5 forums (2000-2003 M5), spun rod bearings are a major concern because there have been a bunch of documented cases of a rod bearing going and throwing a rod through the block. Big problem because a new block is ~$17-20k (easier to find a junker to swap an engine into, though those are rare).

To the point there that some owners are doing preventative rod bearing replacement (and similar maintenance) at around the 100k mark. Only a few have done it so far, but only a few are hitting those types of miles.

Anyway....I agree, every car has it's weakness. My concerns with the LGT weaknesses is that with the turbo and piston at least, you have people with:

1. Pistons causing sufficient damage/contamination to the point that a new long-block is required OR that continued problems are experienced due to debris.

2. Turbo failure causing lots of damage and contamination and causing the same sort of very expensive and possibly continuing problem.

But, as pointed out, a few cases get very loud because they were so problematic. How big of a problem is it actually?