View Single Post
#31: 12-11-2009, 08:24 AM
hesitation

linderlinder
Title: New Member
Car: Subaru Legacy 2010 Graphite
Send a private message to linderlinder Find all posts by linderlinder Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy360 View Post
Just the base rack. I won't be putting on my ski/snowboard attachment until I head up to the mountain next month, or even better maybe the end of this month

This type of roof rack scares the bejeeszuzzs out of my husband and I. But only because of this stubborn belief that the gripper portion of the bracket that goes underneath the ridge of the door will wear and rub against the paint job.

The ones that we see in the stores are bare metal where I would expect a neoprene coating to keep the abrasion down as the rack wiggles and flexes along it's trip - It seems to be in direct contact - metal to metal...

We are leaning towards drilling into the roof and then just having the 4 anchor points on there from day to day - using the rails only as needed.

We were really hoping there would be a greater selection of options before the 2009 ski season came along...but we may not be able to wait any longer to get our sporty new car up in the snow.

whaddya think - can the gripping angles rub the finish?