View Single Post
#83: 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
 Homemade WRX
Title: Member
Car: 96 GM8 2.4LR w/35R, 00 F250 7.3L PSD
Send a private message to Homemade WRX Find all posts by Homemade WRX Reply With Quote
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post
Stock R160 is not Torsen, but viscous. Least desirable option.

As far as Torsen being better than clutch type - negative. Depends on the application. For road course in many cases - yup (and obviously for rallying). For autox and general street application - Torsen is a better choice. I guess it also depends on the driver's preference.

Also the stock 04-06 STI clutch diff (made by Hitachi) is crap. 2-way, very weak and with poor ramp up.
I was referring to the torsen being in the back of the spec B vs clutch in the R180 from an STi...only clutch R160's that I know of were the early STi RA's before they switched to R180's in Ver 4 IIRC...

clutch > torsen would mean that the clutch style is better than torsen...however out back a clutch will not go to open when lifting a rear inside tire nor allow wheel spin as easily. Heck even with some high powered Impreza's on stock R180's they are peg legging (spinning a rear wheel) coming off of corners BUT you already explained about those junk Hitachi units.

My vote for setup for most everyone, except rally, is a torsen/helical front and a clutch rear. Center's are very much a personal preference type of deal. A 1-way clutch isn't bad up front for tarmac but is noisy.