View Single Post
#637: 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM

SVXdc
Title: Senior Contributor
Car: 1996 SVX L AWD
Send a private message to SVXdc Find all posts by SVXdc Reply With Quote
OK, for those less experienced at audio installs, here's an annotated picture of how you'll need to connect the various harnesses:
Click image for larger version

Name:	JDM ACC wiring.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	75485
(click to see larger picture)
Your head unit's harness will probably look slightly different — every manufacturer uses their own proprietary connector. It may include extra wires that you won't use (you'll need to insulate the ends). Some of the wires (e.g., ground, power antenna control) might have quick-disconnect or fork terminals that you will need to cut off so you can crimp or solder the wire to the 14-pin harness. If it has inline fuse holders, don't cut those off

When you solder wires (which I recommend, since it can give the smallest and most secure connections), it's best to twist them together in a double-spiral, like the wires at the top of this picture:

Name:	254-07-WireJoints.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	71700
When joining three wires, twist the first two, pointing towards each other like above, and then spiral the third wire around the first junction.

Remember to slide on your heat shrink tubing before you twist the wires together!

Here's the harness I wired up for my SVX:

Name:	254-10-HarnAdap.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	71701
Added: Installation instructions I've been sending out:
Quote:
Here's the color code table for the 14-pin harness.

Column "A" shows the colors of the wires in the Legacy/Outback. Since you won't be dealing with those wires directly, you can ignore that column.

Column "B" shows the wires on the forward harness. Connect the harness to the one that comes with your new head unit. Although the colors should match, be sure to verify the function of each wire with your head unit's manual.

For most new head units that have a wire for "Dimmer" or "Illumination," you should connect that to the Orange wire on the 14-pin harness. This will be in addition to the Orange wire on my i88 adapter.

Your HU's dimmer wire could be Orange or Orange/White. However, your HU may not have an illumination/dimmer wire at all. Some HU's even have an Orange/White wire that is not for illumination. Check your HU's installation guide!

Reminder: All Subarus in the last 10+ years have an antenna booster amplifier. You must connect the Blue wire at pin 14 to something that provides +12V:
  • Best choice: Blue "power antenna" or "motor antenna" lead (if your HU has one). That will activate the booster amp (or raise a motorized antenna) only while the HU is in AM/FM mode (off while listening to disc or Aux).
  • Next best choice: Blue/White "amp turn-on" lead. That will activate the booster whenever the HU is on.
  • Last choice (if your HU doesn't have either a Blue or Blue/White wire): +12V Accessory (on the 14-pin forward harness, tie the Blue wire over to the Red wire). This will activate the antenna booster all the time the ignition key is on.
If your aftermarket HU only has the one wire for amp remote turn-on (and no separate wire for power antenna), it is usually OK to connect the HU's amp turn-on lead to both the Subaru's power antenna wire and the remote control input on a speaker amplifier or powered subwoofer. You should check that the total current draw does not exceed the HU's specs (it should say in their wiring instructions). Subaru's booster amplifier draws about 50 mA.

You'll also need to connect the three "pigtail" wires from my JDM adapter to the 14-pin harness as follows:

On harnesses from the latest batches:
  • Red is +12V Accessory. Connect to Red (pin 10).
  • Orange is "Illumination +". Connect to Orange (pin 1).
  • Orange/White is Dimmer or "Illumination –" (minus). Connect to Orange/White (pin 7).

On harnesses from previous batches:
  • Orange marked with a piece of white heat shrink tubing is Dimmer or "Illumination –" (minus). Connect to Orange/White (pin 7).

On harnesses from older batches:
  • Yellow/Orange is Dimmer or "Illumination –" (minus). Connect to Orange/White (pin 7).

On harnesses from the earliest batches:
  • Yellow/Orange is "Illumination +". Connect to Orange (pin 1).
  • Yellow/Black is Dimmer or "Illumination -". Connect to Orange/White (pin 7).

Last edited by SVXdc; 12-09-2012 at 03:39 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SVXdc For This Useful Post:
eks26 (07-04-2014), lingling1337 (06-24-2014), tsunami (05-09-2013)