LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B Radio information thread

Deer Killer

^I will, your the guy that got me started doing this whole project with the 07 radio, and Im not stopping till its done :);)

I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. :lol: :lol:

If not, my apologies.

If so, you're welcome.

:lol: :lol:

SVX, that upper connector looked like a fit to me too. That's why I've got great hope this will work.

Cheers!

-Ian

Edited by goneskiian

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good thing for sure. :) I am so glad, to have a factory fit and finish, radio, that has Windows mobile, mpeg and satelitte radio, and hopefully soon AUX in for my ipod touch. Might add some better speakers some day but not at this time.

For gosh sakes all this should have already been in an 05 vehicle IMHO. With that said, I am really glad I did this conversion, although painful at times (both money (mostly subie bucks) and modifications) it has been worth it.

I drive about 30000 miles per year, the 2005 suits me just fine and I do not plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Even with 103000 on the odometer. When it needs a motor it is getting one.

Soon it will be getting an AVO380 turbo swap (have all parts just waiting on housing) and a tune for E85.

This really had been a great car, first import I have ever owned. AWD, wagon to haul my x-ray tools, great power, good gas milage, and very reliable. Its the perfect cross between my Jeep Cherokee and my 1993 Cobra Mustang! ;)

Glad to help/inspire. ;)

Windows mobile? :eek: Where's that thread? :D

I don't have nearly as many miles on as you do but I plan on keeping it a while as well. Will probably wait for stuff to break before upgrading though <cough> turbo <cough>. :lol: :lol: ;)

Let's get this Aux working!

I dont use WMA files but its nice to know I can if some idiot has them :)

I listen to alot of talk radio etc and with the podcasts on the ipod, i love it. I can download what I want and listen on my time.

We will get this working even if we have to make our own cables!

Edited by Scooby2.5

WHOOHOOOO, THE CABLE PLUGS RIGHT INTO THE LEGACY AUX MODULE... The picture was CORRECT! See Update on this in post 419!!

H6210FG000 AUX JACK KIT

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5180/2008imprezaarmrestauxin.th.jpg

Next week Ill tear into my car and see if it works... I am pretty sure it will, so now I need to just plug it into the radio to see what happens.

It looks like from this pic that it would plug right into one of the black connectors on the back of the radio.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0043.jpg

Here is a pic of it plugged in, and showing that it is plenty long enough. Also in the pic is the other end that should go to the radio.

We may have to pull the pins out of the white connector and stick them into an existing cable if there is no slot.

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/45266/2121607380074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Scooby2.5

Here is what I think we will have to do on the Radio End of the cable.

I wonder how he was able to get the pins out of the white connector. I have messed with a lot of these but this one seems different.

Maybe Ill ask blue dragon..... Stay Tuned. Probably wont be until middle of next week until I can do this. Leaving on a vacation trip.

I've confrmed that the '08 Impreza aux-in kit does work since the pins are the same size. You need to release the pins from the white connector on the Aux-in harness, and move them over to the I-85 connector. On an '05 Legacy or outback, pins 1, 2, and 5 are empty on the I-85 connector, so you will only need to remove pin 6 from the I-85 connector so that you can install the pin from the aux in harness

Pin 1 - audio left (white wire)

Pin 2 - audio right (red wire)

Pin 5 - Ground (black wire)

Pin 6 - Aux enable (brown wire)

Those are the colours of the wires in the Aux-in kit harness, and the corresponding pins that you need to move them to on the I-85 connector. This allows you to have aux-in and still retain the steering wheel audio controls

Edited by Scooby2.5

That's great news, Greg.

You will need to extract the pins from that new Impreza cable. Your car's i85 plug has the wire at pin 8 that you need to keep (for display dimming control). Plus I'm fairly sure the Impreza harness' shell is not compatible with the Legacy radio's "i85" socket.

Reminder — the i85 plug is the one with the white plastic guard/lock in the rear.

If your car has steering wheel controls (or at least, if the harness has the wires for them), then your i85 will also have wires at pins 3 and 7.

And finally, if your car has (or was wired for) the factory subwoofer in the rear, your i85 will have pins 4 and 6. As blue dragon wrote, only pin 6 conflicts with the new radio's Aux wires, but you should go ahead and remove both pins 4 and 6 from your i85 plug, so you don't have extraneous wires plugging into the new radio.

[i looked back and found your post where you say you have the under seat type of sub, so your i85 shouldn't have any wires at pins 4 and 6. But I'll leave these notes for anyone else who does this mod]

Pin numbering (view looking at the rear of the car's i85 harness, with the wires pointing towards you):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

(which is the same orientation looking at the pins on the radio's socket)

Well I got the AUX IN Console Pocket installed in the console, wired it to the back of the radio, plugged all pins into the I85 connector with one EXCEPTION......

I cannot get pin 6 extracted from the connector to install the AUX enable wire.

I have tried everything to get it out. I may have to splice it.

Ill let you know what happens....

That's great news, Greg.

You will need to extract the pins from that new Impreza cable. Your car's i85 plug has the wire at pin 8 that you need to keep (for display dimming control). Plus I'm fairly sure the Impreza harness' shell is not compatible with the Legacy radio's "i85" socket.

Reminder — the i85 plug is the one with the white plastic guard/lock in the rear.

If your car has steering wheel controls (or at least, if the harness has the wires for them), then your i85 will also have wires at pins 3 and 7.

And finally, if your car has (or was wired for) the factory subwoofer in the rear, your i85 will have pins 4 and 6. As blue dragon wrote, only pin 6 conflicts with the new radio's Aux wires, but you should go ahead and remove both pins 4 and 6 from your i85 plug, so you don't have extraneous wires plugging into the new radio.

[i looked back and found your post where you say you have the under seat type of sub, so your i85 shouldn't have any wires at pins 4 and 6. But I'll leave these notes for anyone else who does this mod]

Pin numbering (view looking at the rear of the car's i85 harness, with the wires pointing towards you):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

(which is the same orientation looking at the pins on the radio's socket)

I ended up just splicing into the exiting wire (pin 6) and now it works. :)

Only problem I have now is I cannot get the left channel to work :mad: Ill tear into it tomorrow and see what is going on. I know its not the IPOD or the cable as I tested them on a different radio input.

Ok Update....

Found the problem... it is the AUX input module for the LEGACY that is not working.

If I plug the AUX input module from the IMPREZA kit, it works fine.

I am taking them apart to see if they are wired the same. If they are not then what I am going to do is hacksaw the wider IMPREZA circuit board to fit in the LEGACY Aux input module housing and it should be good to go.

Ill keep you posted.

Edited by Scooby2.5

OK, guys Bad news. It seems the pin out on the legacy AUX module is different than the pin out on the Impreza AUX module.

So I took both modules apart and what I am going to do is cut the IMPREZA circuit board to the width of the LEGACY circuit board.

Then I will slide the IMPREZA board into the LEGACY AUX mod housing.

When you purchase the impreza kit and if you already have the legacy AUX in module, PLEASE try to see if it works without using the impreza board FIRST before cutting to make sure I am correct.

I think deerkiller had the best idea, or SVX. Find the pins for the I85 connector and make your own cable and just drill a hole in your existing console storage pocket for a AUX in plug!

Edited by Scooby2.5

Ok guys here is the procedure to make the Impreza AUX in kit work in the 2005-2006 legacy with the 2007- UP Radio.

Parts List: Prices from Fred Beans Subaru

86257xa10a Legacy AUX Module 2007 - 2008 $15.60

92174ag05a Center console - Pocket 2007 $23.08

H6210FG000 Impreza AUX JACK KIT $60.54

First you have to slide the radio out and unplug the I85 Connector.

Next take the cable from the IMPREZA Aux in kit and remove the connector off the end that would normally plug into the radio. I had a time with this and ended up cutting the connector off but preserving the pins. I could not get the pins to pop out as some have done.

Looking at the I85 connector this is the Pin numbering. (view looking at the rear of the car's i85 harness, with the wires pointing towards you):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

Place each of the pins from the Impreza cable into the I85 connector as follows Pins 1,2,5 will be easy because there is nothing in there. Pin 6 needs to be removed from the I85 connector.

(note: I could not get pin 6 out of my I85 harness so I spliced the brown wire to the white wire in slot 6 of the i85 connector using a quick connect. (place two wires in the connector, take pliers and smash the spade down and then close the latch)

Pin 1 - audio left (white wire)

Pin 2 - audio right (red wire)

Pin 5 - Ground (black wire)

Pin 6 - Aux enable (brown wire) (Splice brown wire to White wire in slot 6 if you cannot remove the pin)

Now you need to remove the console…

To do this you pull the leather boot off the side of the console/brake handle. Just pull up on this, it just snaps on. You just need it disconnected from the console not off the parking brake handle.

Remove felt lining from the console pocket and remove two screws.

Grab console under passenger side and drivers side where you removed the leather parking brake boot and PULL straight up. This will unclip the front half of the console.

Now tip the console up toward the rear seat and unplug the big white connector near the back of the console.

Take the console into the house or somewhere it will not get scratched.

On the back of the console above the rear cup holder remove the small cover. It just clips on. When this is removed, remove the screw thats under there, its one of the screws that holds the existing console pocket.

Now unclip from the inside of the console the rear cup holder and take it out. It also just snaps in.

Remove the metal bracket on the bottom of the Console pocket. Remove the 5 screws holding the console pocket into the console and take the pocket out.

Place the new pocket into the console, put the screw in the back by the cupholder in, snap the cupholder back in, put the 5 screws in that hold the pocket to the console, and mount the metal bracket to the new pocket (note: you will use one less screw on the metal bracket because of the space for the AUX module).

You will need to take the Legacy Aux module apart and remove the circuit board. You will need to take the Impreza Aux module apart and remove the circuit board.

You will then need to trim the Impreza Aux Module board to the width of the Legacy board. It comes out to be approx. 10cm each side. I used a dremel. Be very careful as you want this to fit tight in the LEGACY Aux module housing. Make sure you line up the 1/8 inch jack on each board before you mark and cut the board. You have to make sure the 1/8 inch plug is centered to fit into the Legacy housing.

Once you have it trimmed put the newly trimmed Impreza circuit board into the Legacy Aux module housing. The Impreza board is a bit shorter from the cable connector to the input plug but if you trimmed it to a tight fit it should be fine.

After this snap the newly created Legacy Aux module into the the new Console pocket.

Now take the console back to the car and install in reverse order. I found it easiest to set the console on the hump in the rear of the car, plug the connectors in and then tilt it down toward the front.

Run the wire from the radio along the edge of the shifter and plug it into the Aux Module now mounted into your new console pocket.

Plug the console connector back in, tilt the console back down, and snap the console back down in the front. Reinstall the two screws that would be under the felt, these attach the console pocket to the floor.

Trim the felt so it will fit into the new console pocket.

Plug your IPOD into the new Aux jack, hit Aux on the Radio and ENJOY!

I am sure there are easier ways to do this and cheaper, but it looks FACTORY when you are done!!

Edited by Scooby2.5

Looks ok Greg, but aren't we kinda re-inventing the wheel here ?

Am I missing something, or why spend $100 or so on parts, when

you can just buy some coax and a 1/8" stereo jack ? I guess if the

point is retain the steering wheel controls, then you need to either

source some spare pins, else fabricate a completely new connector,

as has been described previously in this thread.

Rusty, that is exactly how I felt, but as greg had mentioned in a previous post, he wanted to be as factory as possible. To each their own. My solution was really easy and cheep. I think I spent $60 total on my Aux-in cable and jack, and that includes buying a new sodering iron (and a nicer one for that mater). See my previous posts to see how I got mine to work, and I didn't even re-use any of the pins in the i85 connector at all.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Rusty

I really did want to get the factory look to this whole thing. Since I was able to get the console pocket used, and I saw the Impreza wiring kit, I decided to do it this way. Really the most expensive thing was the impreza kit. All in all I probably spent about 20 bucks more than leggtnut.

With the way I did mine the steering wheel controls will still work, although I do not have them so that wasn't my point.

I just wanted it to look factory, and I used Subaru bucks for the whole thing.

If this didnt work I was going to do what leggtnut did.

By the way leggtnut when you get a chance do a write up of your build, like you stated you would in your parts list post. Thanks

Still working on finding time to do it right. I started a word doc on it and I hope to have it done by mid month. Have a little one on the way so things have been crazy at my house.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 months later...

I've been reading over all these iPod integration ideas for a month and i'm lost.

If i were to purchase the 2007 Spec B HU - what would be the simplest method after that for getting iPhone integration (assuming money isn't an issue)

Just want the absolute simplest way once the 07 Spec B HU is installed. Don't care about steering wheel controls. (hoping to avoid having to solder anything?)

I currently have an 05 legacy GT (climate control, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mattaleao

I believe that if you got the following you would get what you want:

2007 HU

I-Pod kit (as long as you don't want XM)

And then you are set.

I have a zune, so there isn't an integration kit for me, but I have the 07 HU in my 06 GT. I have the XM Sat radio and the Zune plugged into the aux in and love this setup.

From what I understand, if you get the I-Pod kit, you would use the sat button to control the i-pod.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I believe that if you got the following you would get what you want:

2007 HU

I-Pod kit (as long as you don't want XM)

And then you are set.

I have a zune, so there isn't an integration kit for me, but I have the 07 HU in my 06 GT. I have the XM Sat radio and the Zune plugged into the aux in and love this setup.

From what I understand, if you get the I-Pod kit, you would use the sat button to control the i-pod.

Awesome, I don't care about XM

Is there soldering involved? I can get my subaru dealership to install the head unit, and possibly the integration kit as well since its subaru, but if there is soldering involved with getting the kit to work i'm not sure if they'll do it.

Also will it charge 2nd gen iPhones? On the part site for the kit it says it wont work, but then i've seen people that say it will.

Also this part still confuses me

What are the part numbers I need?

There is speculation about this as it it appears the face plate and the radio have been split up into two parts, it's possible we won't really know until someone orders one OEM, but it is expensive if is the case ($950 shipped). You do not need to AUX box, as you can follow the instructions below for AUX input.

Please double check this with your parts guy before you order:

86201AG67A Radio Ay Up2 $450

86213AG65A Panel Assy $400

Do i need both parts? or just one?

No soldering to my knowledge unless you want to get the Aux-in wired up, you may need to solder some wires together. If you only want the I-Pod kit, then you wouldn't need to worry about the aux-in.

And you can try and get the dealership install it, but they would charge you a lot. My dealership would charge me $99/hr and this would likely be a 2hr+ job if you are able to talk them into it. Everything should be plug/n/play so if you take your time, you should be able to figure it out.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I would have them install the Head Unit, then I would do the iPod kit.

I'm still confused as to what exact parts i'll need and what it'll look like when its done. I assume the aux-in will just be hanging somewhere unless I get fancy and try to wire it somewhere in the car?