LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B Radio information thread

Deer Killer

It goes from the blank white connector in this pic, through the console to the back of the radio.

It should be on any 2007 up legacy with the aux input in the armrest console.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC08030.jpg

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the 2008 Legacy wiring diagram (from the vacation pics), there is a chain of two harnesses that go between the center armrest console and the radio. The diagram doesn't give Subaru part numbers.

2042837774_2008LegacyAudio2.thumb.jpg.42d9ed446b4ec1c6b986bed1957c3b7c.jpg

Connectors:

• C1 (22 pins) is the empty socket in your picture
  • C8 (6 pins) is the smaller white socket on the bottom of the aux pod
  • C3 (2 pins) is the accessory power socket ("cigarette lighter outlet") [C3 not shown on above audio diagram]

1st Harness: Connector R43 (22 pins) connects to socket C1. The other end of that harness is R99 (12-pins, same gender as C1). The Audio System page shows only 4 wires plus a shield. A different page shows two additional wires for +12V and Ground for the accessory power outlet.

2nd Harness: Connector i54 (12 pins) plugs into R99. i54 has three wires plus shield that go to connector i85 (8 pins), which plugs into the radio. A fourth wire goes from i54 to chassis ground.

i85 also has two other wires that eventually go to the steering wheel, and one more that goes to the Body Integrated Unit (for the "night dimness cancellation" feature). None of those wires go through the i85-to-i54 harness.

So it's somewhat unlikely that the 2nd harness (i54/i85/i1) is sold as a replacement part, since it has multiple branches that snake through the car. The 1st harness probably has the same problem.

Here's a link to Greg's post from earlier in this thread with the pics:

the back of the AUX in module it has a white connector with 5 pins 5 wires [C8]. The wires out of it run down to another white connector that has 7 pins in a 22 pin connector [C1]. 2 of the wires out of the aux look like they are spliced with tape around them and go to the 12v accessory plug [C3]. The same color wires also run to the 22 pin connector [C1].

Edited by SVXdc
Reworded some bits to be clearer, fixed typos

• 4 weeks later...
I could possible make some cables that I made for myself and sell them. This would likely be only for people w/out steering wheel controls.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

If you could give us the place to get the pins, what guage wire you used and tell us where it needs to go from the white connector in the cubby to the radio connector I am sure I can make one.

I dont want or need steering wheel controls, I just want the aux in from the cubby. :)

Of course if you want to make one for me Id buy it if the quality of work was bar none. Heatshrink and the whole nine yards. I work in X-ray, electronics degree, so I could do this, just not wanting to spend the time to find all the pins and such.

Edited by Scooby2.5

I spent 1hr making mine, it was quite easy. Here is the build list:

2 - CD Rom Audio cables witht he brown 4 pin connector (computer parts store)

1 - 3.5mm head phone surface mount (radio shack and you get 2)

1 - spool of 4 whire cable from radio shack (is quite small and don't remember the guage

1 - sodering iron and soder

1 - role of electrical tape

? - misalinious sizes of shrinkwrap

Will come up with the build instructions when I go back and look at mine. But if you get these and like Gergnauman, you should be able to figure this out on your own once you find the pin out on the HU.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Ive already got this so all I need is the pinout, and wiring:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC08028.jpg

If the harness under that is a 4pin just like the i85 connector, then you could just try using 4 CDRom cables.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

If someone can send me clear, close-up pictures of connector "i85" (the 8-pin connector that plugs into the back of the radio), I'll see if I can track down the pins (and possibly the shell, too).

No cell phone pics, please :) Use a camera that you can set to "macro" (close-focus, might show a "flower" icon for this mode).

I'd like to see every side. For the side that plugs into the radio, hold a metric ruler (with millimeters) next to it.

While you're at it, pics of the other 8-pin connector would be nice too. ;)

First person who can do that I'll send a set of pins to (if/when I find them), or a pair of my 14-pin forward/reverse harnesses (if you can't wait).

Ive already got this so all I need is the pinout, and wiring:

I posted links to the pin-out back in post #70 (and the whole list in post #118). But here's the link again: Pin-out for the aux socket on 2007 radios.

If the harness under that is a 4pin just like the i85 connector, then you could just try using 4 CDRom cables.

Connector C8 (under the Aux jack) is different — it has 6 pins.

Edited by SVXdc

It would be nice if we could get the factory style plugs for both the Aux in I show in the above picture and the back of the radio.

Is this possible?

If someone can send me clear, close-up pictures of connector "i85" (the 8-pin connector that plugs into the back of the radio), I'll see if I can track down the pins (and possibly the shell, too).

No cell phone pics, please :) Use a camera that you can set to "macro" (close-focus, might show a "flower" icon for this mode).

I'd like to see every side. For the side that plugs into the radio, hold a metric ruler (with millimeters) next to it.

While you're at it, pics of the other 8-pin connector would be nice too. ;)

First person who can do that I'll send a set of pins to (if/when I find them), or a pair of my 14-pin forward/reverse harnesses (if you can't wait).

I posted links to the pin-out back in post #70 (and the whole list in post #118). But here's the link again: Pin-out for the aux socket on 2007 radios.

Connector C8 (under the Aux jack) is different — it has 6 pins.

wonder if this would work somehow?

2008 AUX Terminal Input Cable - Impreza (08M+) (H6210FG000)

Basically, what I have is the 2007 radio installed in a 2005 outback xt. I also installed the Sirius kit.

Now I have the factory AUX console insert and just need a cable to go from the factory console insert to the radio.

SVX if you could help us out with this, you would be our hero. :) Im a electronics guy but just dont have the time to devote to FINDING all the pins, wiring etc.

Isnt there some good enough pictures of the I85 connector in this thread or at least the NASIOC threads?

Edited by Scooby2.5

Here are the connectors on the stock AUX in, in the console on the legacy.

Radio Aux In album:

Here is a link if you want them bigger http://www.webshots.com/user/gregnauman

This is the Connector on the back of the Aux in

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/45588/2659285850074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the cable that plugs into the BACK of the aux in above picture:

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/34275/2153778440074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the other end of this aux in cable, and as you can see it also splices over to the Power outlet

http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/45402/2758616490074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is the back of the 08 radio and I think it is the same as the 07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0043.jpg

Edited by Scooby2.5

Guess I answered my own question. Maybe Ill just buy this kit (H6210FG000) and modify the wiring for my setup. Looks like you posted about this on NASIOC.

I will be ordering this to see how it works guys.

SVXdc wrote on NASIOC

"As austinpike wrote, Tim-M's harness is one solution. It plugs into the rear of the HU and provides either individual wires or a 3.5mm stereo plug. View the entire thread and scroll down to post #84 for pictures.

Subaru does sell an interconnect cable along with an aux pod, intended to be installed in the center console of some 2008s. If you're installing the aux pod where the ashtray would be, it may still fit. You'll just have a lot of extra cable, since this one is long enough to reach down the transmission hump past the gearshift.

The Subaru part number is H6210FG000. Price is about $62 plus shipping from the online Subaru parts places (e.g., SubaruParts.com), and probably $75 at your dealer.

You might try calling Subaru of America directly to see if they can tell you a part number for just the cable. If it's available it should cost a bit less. However, Subaru may not package and sell it separately.

I found the part number for the kit in the installation guide on Subaru's web site. Under "Free Publications > Accessory Installation Guides". The document is "2008 AUX Terminal Input Cable - Impreza (08M+) (H6210FG000)" (a PDF file).

On some models, the aux interconnect cable merges into a larger harness tied into the rest of the car. That's probably why the seller did not include it, and why the dealer may say it's not available separately. But on some 2007s it really is a separate cable, similar to what's shown in that installation guide."

I've confrmed that the '08 Impreza aux-in kit does work since the pins are the same size. You need to release the pins from the white connector on the Aux-in harness, and move them over to the I-85 connector. On an '05 Legacy or outback, pins 1, 2, and 5 are empty on the I-85 connector, so you will only need to remove pin 6 from the I-85 connector so that you can install the pin from the aux in harness

Pin 1 - audio left (white wire)

Pin 2 - audio right (red wire)

Pin 5 - Ground (black wire)

Pin 6 - Aux enable (brown wire)

Those are the colours of the wires in the Aux-in kit harness, and the corresponding pins that you need to move them to on the I-85 connector. This allows you to have aux-in and still retain the steering wheel audio controls

Edited by Scooby2.5

If you have Satelite radio like I do where does the aux in plug into? Is it just another pin in the i85 connector?

The satellite receivers (as well as Subaru's iPod adapter module) plug into a different socket that can also be used for an OEM external CD changer.

If you take a minute to look at the 2007-up Aux-in pinout link I posted, you'll see the 8-pin aux socket has no vacant pins for any other functions.

wonder if this would work somehow?

[link to Subaru's install doc for Impreza center armrest Aux pod]

I think someone wrote that the 2007-up Impreza aux plug is a different connector than on Legacies. But from what "blue dragon" posted, it sounds like the contact pins on both Impreza and Legacy connectors are the same (or at least similar enough).

Isnt there some good enough pictures of the I85 connector in this thread or at least the NASIOC threads?

Not that I've seen. I need clear, close-up, straight-on shots of each of the 6 sides of the Legacy/Outback i85 plug (and i88 while you're at it). Or someone to send me those plugs snipped from a wrecked Legacy or Outback. :)

OK guys here is what I think you will need to install the AUX in on a 2005 that doesnt have it:

For the wiring you will need to purchase the 08 impreza kit H6210FG000

You will NOT be able to mount the Aux box from the 08 impreza kit in the console so you will need the factory console pieces from an 07.

pocket- 92174ag05a

wiring harness from pocket to plug 81870ag10a I dont think we need this but I will verify**** see picture below

aux pod 86257xa10a

Prices from Fred Beans at www.5-starperformance.com

Part Number: 86257xa10a Electrical - Entertainment system components - Terminal Terminal 2007 - 2008 $15.60

Part Number: 92174ag05a Center console - Pocket Pocket - 2007 2007 $23.08

Part Number: H6210FG000 AUX JACK KIT $60.54

Here is the 07 pieces i purchased:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC08028.jpg

This wiring harness 81870ag10a is seen in the picture below with the white sticker on it. It adapts the back of the AUX in to the bigger white connector in this pic: I do not think we need this

The impreza harness should plug right into the back of the Factory 07 aux box like in this pic:

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/45588/2659285850074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

I will be doing this in the next few weeks, Ill post if I am correct and this works.

Greg

Edited by Scooby2.5

Guess I answered my own question. Maybe Ill just buy this kit (H6210FG000) and modify the wiring for my setup. Looks like you posted about this on NASIOC.

I will be ordering this to see how it works guys.

Judging from the first picture in this post, it looks like that version of Tim-M's harness might work for you. You can extract and "transplant" the radio-side pins from Tim's connector into your Legacy's "i85" connector. Then the individual pins at the other end of Tim's cable look like they'll slide onto that 22-pin socket ("C1") in the armrest you bought. You'd need to cut Tim's cable in the middle and extend the wires, though.

That would be a lot less expensive than that Subaru Impreza aux pod kit.

^Trying to get it as factory as possible. Subie bucks come in handy :)

Also this cable would be long enough because on the 08 impreza it looks as though its in the console as well.

It looks like the 08 Impreza connector on the cable will plug right into our legacy aux box, when looking at the install instructions.

Free Publications > Accessory Installation Guides". The document is "2008 AUX Terminal Input Cable - Impreza (08M+) (H6210FG000)" (a PDF file).

Edited by Scooby2.5

OK guys here is what I think you will need to install the AUX in on a 2005 that doesnt have it:

For the wiring you will need to purchase the 08 impreza kit H6210FG000

You will NOT be able to mount the Aux box from the 08 impreza kit in the console so you will need the factory console pieces from an 07.

pocket- 92174ag05a

wiring harness from pocket to plug 81870ag10a I dont think we need this but I will verify**** see picture below

aux box 86257xa10a

Prices from Fred Beans at www.5-starperformance.com

Part Number: 86257xa10a Electrical - Entertainment system components - Terminal Terminal 2007 - 2008 $15.60

Part Number: 92174ag05a Center console - Pocket Pocket - 2007 2007 $23.08

Part Number: H6210FG000 AUX JACK KIT $60.54

I will be doing this in the next few weeks, Ill post if I am correct and this works.

Greg

Very cool. Thanks for stepping up and doing some 'sperimenting Greg!

We look forward to your conclusions!

Oh yeah. Please post up even if it doesn't work! :D;)

Cheers!

^Trying to get it as factory as possible. Subie bucks come in handy :)

It looks like the 08 Impreza connector on the cable will plug right into our legacy aux box...

In those Impreza kit installation instructions, on the harness...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5180/2008imprezaarmrestauxin.th.jpg

(click for larger image)

...the upper connector does look very similar to the plug and socket (C8) in your picture.

Instead of buying the entire Impreza kit (which will include the Aux pod that you won't need), see if if SOA will give you the part number for just this harness from that kit.

ADDED: H6210FG010 and H6210FG011 are possibilities, but their prices are coming up higher than the entire kit :rolleyes:

Descriptions/prices on SubaruParts.com:

Part #      Description       Price
H6210FG000  Aux Jack Kit      $61.51
H6210FG010  Aux Jack Harness  $65.87
H6210FG011  Aux Cable         $63.65

Edited by SVXdc

^where did you find those second two numbers?

Jeremy Sassaman has been looking for the harness but couldnt seem to find it.

maybe if we give him the kit number he can find just the cable.

By the way thanks for helping out on this SVXdc, I see you have been much involved with this on other forums. :)

Edited by Scooby2.5