View Single Post
#152: 11-20-2008, 11:51 PM

LRegvall
Title: Senior Member
Car: '05 LGT Wagon 5MT, '98 BMW Z3
Send a private message to LRegvall Find all posts by LRegvall Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
I have been getting a consistent 25-28 mpg average for the last couple tank fulls and a 26.4 average on the trip that is over 3k miles right now. I'd say about 50/50 highway/city driving in my '05 LGT.

I have measured the actual mpg vs the info computer dash gauge and found that my actual is about 1 mpg lower. I really can't see how people can be reporting such low numbers like 16 or even 20, unless you're doing some crazy stop and go for whole tank.

Sometimes I reset the trip while on a long highway cruise and usually come out in the low 30's.
I usually find the same 1mpg difference between the computer and measured reality. Not surprisingly, I have a hard time understanding how many of the folks on this thread are getting such good mileage. As I mentioned above, my driving style will maybe make a 1mpg difference (like 15mpg vs 16mpg), never 3-5. My driving pattern (city, hiway, number of stop-and-goes, etc) will account for the 16mpg to 22mpg swing. This thread (and other mileage threads) seems to have about 75% reporting very decent mileage and 25% reporting crappy mileage (or thereabouts).

I guess the question I have to pose to SOA is the one I mentioned above - take a random sample of 100 LGTs and what will the mileage distribution be like if run on the identical dyno test cycle. I'm sure they'll have a good answer.