View Single Post
#2: 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM

delBIONICfonic
Title: Member
Send a private message to delBIONICfonic Find all posts by delBIONICfonic Reply With Quote
Name: Bill case#1089048

Make: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Mileage: 58,000

Time Out Of Use: as of 3/5/2008, 29 days without repair

Problem And Likely Cause: Turbo failure resulting from broken turbine shaft. Dealer and SOA claim lack of oil, i say its an oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head thats caused a lack of pressure to lubricated parts

Modifications: Bone Stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Was it Approved For Warranty Repair: Denied

Your Story: On the 15th of February the turbo in my car (05 LGT w/58,000miles) failed resulting from a broken turbine shaft. The next day I took my car to a Subaru dealership where they discovered that the car was running on 2 quarts of what they claim to be very unclean oil (no viscosity test was or will be preformed).

The oil in my car was checked and at a normal level prior to the road trip (about 250 miles) home, which is when the turbo failed. Additionally, I use full synthetic oil and preformed the last oil change myself about 3,200 miles ago. Subaru states that the oil in a 05 LGT should be every 3,750 miles under severe driving conditions and 5,000 – 6,000 miles otherwise.

In order to fully diagnosis the problem with the blown turbo the dealership asked that I allow them to tear the turbo apart and conclude the exact problem that lead to the blown turbo. After allowing Subaru to do said work, they discovered the busted Turbine shaft. They then concluded that since this is a lubricated part the break was due a lack of oil pressure in the turbo resulting in lower lubrication for the turbine shaft.

At no time during the drive home, when the turbo failed, did a check engine light or oil pressure warning light display on the dash. The oil pressure warning light comes on when there is an indication that the engine oil pressure is low and the lubricating system is not working properly. Additionally, my temperature gauge was reading a normal temperature output.

The turbo on my car is covered up to 60,000 miles by the powertrain warranty. Subaru also states on page 47 of the Warranty and Maintenance Book under Owner’s Warranty Responsibilities section that “Subaru of America, Inc. cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance”. Yet, Subaru has continued to cite neglect for only being able to provide them with a credit card statement with an amount, not itemized, purchase at Auto Zone for the oil used in my car.

Based under the assumption of neglect (a bogus and hurtful claim to a proud Subaru owner) Subaru is only offering to cover the parts of the repair and not the labor involved. Page 9 of the warranty and maintenance book states that a new or remanufactured part will be replaced without charge to the owner for labor or materials under covered warranty items, such as Turbo which is covered under the powertrain warranty.

After refusing to accept the “deal” (their word, not mine) Subaru has now decided that further inspection should be done to my car. This means that they wish to remove and inspect the valve cover and oil pan for further damage. No mention of this inspection was ever made prior to my refusal of their “deal”. They have offered to cover the labor cost involved for this inspection.

That is where I am as of 3/5/2008

Now in good faith I should believe that Subaru of America and the dealership are not trying to find or conjure evidence of neglect and/or poor maintenance of my car. However, why would they suggest that further inspection be done to the engine only AFTER I refuse to cover the labor for the repair? Shouldn’t this have been suggested BEFORE they asked they offered me their “deal”, and AFTER the tear down of the turbo was completed? I must admit that I do have a suspicion of foul play.

Furthermore, it was also only upon independent research that I found literature supporting that a loss of oil can occur when a turbine shaft breaks. This oil will then end up in the Intercooler or the downpipe and Upipe. Additionally, Subaru turbocharged engines suffer from a starvation of oil, which results in a turbocharger failure, due to a oil filter screen built into the factory oil feed banjo bolt at the cylinder head. More information on this can be found at http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Info_SubaruOil or you can reference supporting Subaru documentation with bulletin number 02-103-07 which was released on 10/19/2007. I believe this to be the manufactured defect that lead to a mechanical failure in the turbo.

I have at this point not authorized Subaru to inspect the valve cover and oil pan. Instead I am investigating the matter further to see how many Subaru customers have experienced the same thing I have.

Last edited by delBIONICfonic; 04-06-2010 at 01:31 PM..