View Single Post
#1: 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM
DIY grill for my '08 spec b

dmross
Title: Junior Member
Car: 2008 Legacy GT spec b
Send a private message to dmross Find all posts by dmross Reply With Quote
I was inspired by some of the other DIY efforts here and decided to have a go at making my own.

I removed the stock grill and went crazy with tin snips and my Dremel. I cut all the crap out of the center so it is just a frame. I took off the outer chromed ring and put a screen behind it, then remounted it. It took about 2 hours total time and looks pretty decent IMHO. I screwed up when cutting the screen so there is a spot with a gap on the sides, but I am going to buy another screen and do it right. The screen I used is from www.customcargrills.com which someone had linked to in another thread.

Total cost is about $40 right now, which was the price of the screen.

Notes:
1. Cutting plastic with a Dremel smells really bad and is probably not good for you to breathe.
2. Patience is a virtue, take your time when cutting. I have to buy a second screen now which will double the cost.
3. I am considering painting my radiator with some thermal dispersant paint, in order for everything to look "black" behind the grill. *see #4*
4. Make sure you mount the mesh the right way. The screen I bought is more transparent from certain angles making it easier to see the radiator in the pics below since I mounted it the upside down!

Last edited by dmross; 03-06-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Sponsored links