View Single Post
#13: 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM

CombatCQB
Title: Contributor
Car: 05 Legacy GT 5MT
Send a private message to CombatCQB Find all posts by CombatCQB Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Great! Thread subscribed.

Do you know what kind of Molex connector do the trip meter uses ?
Or you plan to just intercept the two wires needed for the serial communications before the connector itself ?

Thanks, CombatCQB.
I don't think molex makes any of the connectors in our subaru. But I plan to replace the connector with something else.

I'm planning to build an interface module using the FTDI serial to USB chip. I'll see if I can use any of the other I/Os to operate the dimmer override and read back the pass. airbag status as well. That will provide a complete replacement for the trip meter.

Quote:
FWIW, a member tried to hook up metric cluster to USDM trip meter. Don't remember exactly, but I think they did not communicate, only temperature worked ok.
That's a good point, I should read back a metric trip meter to see how the bytes differ. It might help explain more the packet.

Quote:
does mean a possible fix for the MPG when using upgraded injectors?
This is possible but will take some effort to figure out the proper formula. A simple way is to come up with a table that converts the value that the ECU calculates to the actual MPG. But I don't know where to start with this. Is it just an inverse linear scale? So if you double the injector size, you half the MPG calculated to get the proper value?

Last edited by CombatCQB; 02-02-2008 at 09:48 PM..