View Single Post
#158: 08-18-2007, 07:09 AM

HAMMER DOWN
Title: Duke
Car: 05 Legacy GT w/ STi 6MT~07 Solstice GXP
Send a private message to HAMMER DOWN Find all posts by HAMMER DOWN Reply With Quote
I finally got around to pulling both of the Banjo filter bolts. The turbo one was about 50% plugged. And the driver side ACVS unit was 25% plugged.

Pic. of turbo Banjo filter. Over 73k on my GT

I stated this earlier.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=44

But change my mind. Do to my oil\filter change history. I put new filter bolts in to see if the clogging took place more in the first 30k Mobil1\Fram or the last 43k, using Amsoil oil\filer.

The driver side Banjo filter bolt is right behind the top cam pulley cover.

To remove this bolt. You have two options. 1) Pull everything of the front driver side of the motor to pull that cam pulley. So you can remove the rear cam belt cover. To have room the remove the banjo filter bolt.

2) This is what I came up with to service this bolt, without doing #1 above. Make sure the engine compartment is still warm. Plastic bends better when warm. Need to remove the AC bracket by the oil dipstick, unbolt the dipstick ( if you choose to remove the dipstick for more room. Put a oil drain pan to catch the oil that will leak out of the dipstick tube.) To make room for a cut tool ( I use a dermal with pen attachment & 1\8 in. milling bit.) To remove the tit off the head of the banjo bolt. Then using 17mm wrench to break it free. Unbolt the other end of the AVCS oil supply line. Now the fun begins. Once the filter bolt broken free. Than take a old 17mm box end wrench & grind it down to 3\16 thick & unscrew. Or try this http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7pc-h...blockType=G212 Use a pry bar to move back the rear cam belt cover. Remove filter bolt & line together. Clean up the head of the bolt. I ground it down between 1\8"- 3\16".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN
This would be me. 2 microns filtration, 15k OCI, Cobbs stage 1 93 tune, 16.2 psi. of max boost & 169k+miles on the original motor & turbo. Took the original ones out at 73k. Another 4k I will have 100k on this set of banjo filter bolts. Then I will inspect & if all is fine. I will leave them out. If I have crap in them. I but new ones in & change them out every 100k.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN View Post
Update, back is Sept.2011, at 174k, I recheck my banjo filter bolts. After 100k on just Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Both banjo filter bolts was clean. So I remove both filters from the banjo bolts & reinstalled with new washers. There was no shaft play on my original VF-40 turbo.

Mike

Last edited by HAMMER DOWN; 02-09-2013 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Combine relevant post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HAMMER DOWN For This Useful Post:
D-VO (08-18-2014), SpaceCadetX7 (10-07-2014)