View Single Post
#1: 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
a super simple custom install in a LGT sedan :) pics here

16psibrick
Title: Vendor I
Send a private message to 16psibrick Find all posts by 16psibrick Reply With Quote
Finally had the pleasure to do another LGT!

This is what i call "wouldnt you like to have this instead of a prefab box in the trunk?" kind of install...the most simple level of custom intsall i do... uusally with total labor budget around the 500 dollar range for the entire car

goals:

1. good balanced SQ
2. keep spare but save as much room as possible
3. clean and stealthy

first off, I've been reading a lot about how manual LGT owners have a real issue getting the power wire into the cabin...resporting to under the car or wheel well or fender as such...now that i have done a manual LGT, i really have to say the issue is really not that bad at all...

my rule of running wire through the firewall usually is:

in order of preference:

1. stock empty grommit
2. stock knock out panel in the insulation whcih contains a empty space behind it to drill
3. using the existing main wiring grommit on the car

in all the cars i hvae ever done, i have yet to encounter one that doesnt work with these three techniques. the LGT, did require me to go to number 3. whcih is very simple. there is a large stock wire pass through on the pasenger side firewall. what you wanna do is slice it open, pop it out a little, and feed the cable through. then after you loom it, you seal it a bit with silicone or stripe caulk. This is a very safeway to do the wire and acutally is pretty much teonly way to do Zs and Gs

here is a shot of where hte grommit is, this is the view before i applied the strip caulk:

and here is where it goes int he cabin:

takes about 5 mins, again very simple hope this helps...and if you are worried about leakage dont be, i have done probably over 200 vehciles over the years using stock pass throughs with no problems what so ever just dont slice it too huge and seal it a little, though honestly, even if yo udont seal it, most of the cars dont have an issue anyway...

moving on an AVO single din kit replaces the stock cubby, and a kenwood headunit resides there, supplied by the customer, i forgot the model number off hand, but it comes with usb input .

i also installed a customer supplied bluetooth unit, and had the mike here:

i also routed his USB input cable and minijack aux input cable to his center arm rest:

a pair of DLS ultimate UX26 6.5" high end coaxials reside in the stock locations,
via spacers, the entire door was dampened partially by the customer and i finished the job, new wires were routedd into the door so no resuing stock wiring here )

moving on to the trunk, a simple, backward facing enclosure was built, and this is this the view covered up:

the sub enclsoure also house the two elemetnal designs nine.2 amps, bracketing a single image dynamics ID12, a front sub panel was biult and routed out, covered in white suede to frame the sub and amps, and then a cosmetic panel was made to finish it off, here is the view with the cover off

and finally, a behind the scenes view of the subbox/amp rack and wire routing...

honestly, it sounds excellent for such a simple, two day install but i can let the customer chime in himself after he gets it back