View Single Post
#10: 02-14-2005, 09:30 AM

Xenonk
Title: Driver
Send a private message to Xenonk Find all posts by Xenonk Reply With Quote
I would like to say there is basically two types of performance driving. One is driving for qualifying/sprint-race speeds (pushing 10/10ths or even more so to get the fastest time and disregarding the parts on the car for damages because at the end of qualifying or a short sprint race, you'll replace them anyways for the next race). Expect to see a lot of cracked rotors and the such at these kind of speeds. The second type of performance driving is known as the race speeds (pushing the car to the limit that will outlast the other drivers and their cars, this is very common when it comes down to enduro races). Slotted and Cross-drilled rotors are made for a reason still. 24-hour and 12-hour races have a meaning of how to stay in the race with precision and conservative driving at the highest level. Sure, cross-drilled rotors do crack, but for track practice and learning the lines and conserving your brakes to last for the day isn't. www.racingbrake.com has made some of the better racing rotors I have dealt with (over Baer, Project Mu, and even Brembo rotors). Not all rotors are designed the same way, as some of the brake rotor's veins for cooling go a long way and number of holes also add up to the structural integrity (or lack of) about the rotor.

I have been on the losing side of a 3-hour enduro as my team lost the race in their class (leading 2nd place when the front full blank rotors and race pads finally glazed up at 2 hours and 58 mins, of which we did an attack starting from 4th place at the last 10 laps which made them overheat). The driver lost all braking power on the 2nd to final lap and buried the car into turn 1's tirewall at www.virclub.com

Keefe