View Single Post
#282: 06-04-2007, 03:35 PM

ShrinerMonkey
Title: Senior Contributor
Car: 2006 Legacy 2.5i SE Wagon
Send a private message to ShrinerMonkey Find all posts by ShrinerMonkey Reply With Quote
This makes no sense to me. A filter by it's very nature accumlates debris and would at some point become clogged. How can Subaru not recommend servicing them? And how can they recommend servicing a turbo and non-turbo the same. Haven't they learned from Toyota and VWs mistakes with oil sludge issues?

VWs had the same problem with the crankcase oil ventilation system, it would become clogged with gunk and cause the crankcase pressure to increase causing oil leaks and blow-by.

Vimy101: Chaging filters more often than the oil does not make sense. Oil filters are rated at higher change intervals than oil is.

If I owned a Subaru (or any car) with a turbo I would only use synthetic oil and change the oil and filter at least every 5000 miles. I would not go over this OCI without a used oil analysis.

Crap like this is one of the reasons I got rid of my 1.8T VW Passat. Turbos are very hard on oil no matter what quality it is and ultimately shortens engine life. It doesn't help that the manufactures and dealers don't have a clue what to do with them. It was sites like this and BITOG that ultimately provided better information for me.