Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crucial Racing Systems, Inc. (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Tokico HTS (D Spec) Struts for 05+ Legacy GT... great strut option! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96832)

Crucial Racing 09-23-2008 02:49 PM

Tokico HTS (D Spec) Struts for 05+ Legacy GT SpecB... great strut option!

I didn't even realize Tokico offered these! They're not listed on their site in the application chart :confused:, but they're in their 2008 catalog.

HTS006, set of 4 Tokico HTS Struts/Shocks for the 05+ Legacy GT SPEC B. Fully adjustable dampening & compression (single adjustment changes both curves appropriately). Fronts are complete replacement struts, rears are complete replacement shocks.

The HTS are essentially identical to Tokico's D-Spec series, which has become really, really popular for WRX/STi in the past couple of years. These are absolutely one of the very top performing, highest quality strut options on the market. For any spring available for the LGT, there will be appropriate dampening settings available on these struts because they have such an awesome, wide range of adjustment :)

$655 including shipping in US!

Also available, adjustment extenders. These are flexible, 8" long shafts that connect to the adjustment knob on the top of the strut. This allows you to feed the extender through your trunk floor (or through the rear shelf on an Impreza sedan) so you can adjust the rear struts without having to remove the entire trunk liner and floor (or remove the rear seats on an Impreza sedan). $25.

Link to D-Spec page (Tokico doesn't have an HTS page on their site, for whatever reason. But the specs are the same according to everything I see. It looks like applications that used to be called HTS have switched to being called D-Spec but they haven't changed everything to D-Spec. It's like the "new" brand name for HTS but they haven't made a full transition.... can't exactly explain the deal or what they're thinking haha... but this info applies except the HTS struts are red in color): http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/Tokico...pec/index.html

Download Tokico catalog here: http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/Tokico...08_CATALOG.pdf

CrucialRacing@gmail.com

Jeremy

Crucial Racing 09-30-2008 02:05 PM

Updating to make sure people know These struts are a direct fit for the Spec B. If you have a non-Spec B Legacy GT you'll want to get a pair of Spec B front strut top hats, which will make these fit perfectly.

Jeremy

urfsin 10-13-2008 12:25 AM

I wonder if these would work with the Ground Control Coilover system.....I know that some Impreza guys have D-specs and they have made the GC system work for them.

This would be very good for all the Outback guys who want to get better handling, stiffer spring rates (you can choose your springs w/ the GC system) and some height control.

LazyDog 10-13-2008 06:41 AM

wow do you know what happens when you post outback and suspension in the same thread?

:hide:

onesillyracer 11-23-2008 06:59 AM

how would you rate these compared to the jdm bilsteins rev a? i currently have them along with pinks and the ride can be very choppy at times

Crucial Racing 11-24-2008 02:01 PM

I honestly don't know much of anything about the JDM Bilsteins... or, frankly, the Pinks for the LGT. It could definitely be the struts not being damped appropriately for the springs, or it could just be that the springs aren't so hot and there's nothing the struts can really do to help.

The Tokico D Specs/HTS are HIGHLY adjustable, very high quality struts. They hold up to a lot of abuse and are very high quality. The dampening is very good. That's about all I got for ya ;)

Jeremy

BT4 11-28-2008 07:27 PM

Jeremy,

Will these tokiko struts work on my 2006 LGT wagon with the stock springs?

I like the idea of adjustable dampers, but don't want to lower the car or go with stiffer springs.

Thanks

Crucial Racing 11-29-2008 03:20 PM

Yes but you'd apparently have to use the Spec B front top hats so the strut shafts fit in the top hats correctly (since the Tokicos are made for the JDM cars/Spec B's). This will also actually raise the ride height of the front of your car by a little bit.

The other option for VERY high quality adjustable struts that will fit your car with no extra parts needed are the Koni inserts... and we have another thread about those. They are more expensive, but with the cost of Spec B front top hats on top of the cost of the Konis I think you'd actually end up ahead. And your ride height will remain the same.

Jeremy

BT4 11-29-2008 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I read up on all the koni reviews and am following that thread. I am interested in the ride quality of the tokiko's with the stock LGT springs. Has anyone provided feedback on this setup?

Crucial Racing 12-01-2008 12:03 PM

Not that I know of. It should be better than stock though. Ride quality/comfort as well as performance. That's the consensus with the Konis and the Tokicos have every bit as much adjustment and are also extremely well-damped. In fact, the Tokicos adjust both compression and rebound settings when you turn the knob, whereas Konis only adjust rebound. It still makes a massive difference in the ride quality and handling of the Konis, so I'd expect the Tokicos on the stock LGT springs to do at least as well.

BT4 12-01-2008 04:51 PM

Ok, Thanks. This is my impression based on some of the feedback so far. I was just trying to figure out if the above two strut setups are over damped for the stock springs or if by adjusting them, they have low enough settings to tune them perfectly for the stock springs.
I put a set of Eibach sports with blue tokiko's on my second car (a camry) last year with a performance alignment michelin pilot sports and very light 17" rims. I could not beleive the speed you can take turns with it. It really blows my mind. However it is a total nightmare on the freeway....

Andreu 01-21-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT4 (Post 2185634)
Ok, Thanks. This is my impression based on some of the feedback so far. I was just trying to figure out if the above two strut setups are over damped for the stock springs or if by adjusting them, they have low enough settings to tune them perfectly for the stock springs.
I put a set of Eibach sports with blue tokiko's on my second car (a camry) last year with a performance alignment michelin pilot sports and very light 17" rims. I could not beleive the speed you can take turns with it. It really blows my mind. However it is a total nightmare on the freeway....

How are they a nightmare on the highway??

BT4 01-21-2009 12:44 PM

The struts, combined with the lowering springs created a very stiff setup. The freeways in southern california are concrete with expansion joints and dips in between them, along with rough texture, uneven surfaces, and rain grooves that are not straight. The harshness and vibrations felt through the steering wheel and the cabin is severe and creates a very unsettling feeling, where you feel like you are not really in control of the vehicle. These small broken pavement sections are transmitted directly to the driver instead of being absorbed by the suspension. It is a real pain in the ass to drive it on the freeway....

On the positive side, the camry only weighs 3100 pds or so. So for throwing this thing around in turns it is quite amazing. You can take turns at speed that are just downright wrong for a camry. I have never been able to break the pilot sports loose with this setup, and this was with stock sways. The only other thing I did to it was a front shock tower brace.

Crucial Racing 01-21-2009 02:09 PM

Yeah I really don't think these will be overdamped for the stock springs. I've received plenty of feedback from WRX owners who have done Konis or D Specs on their stock WRX springs and they all said the ride was better than stock. Also customers who already have performance springs on their cars have all said that the ride quality improved after replacing their struts with one of these options. That wouldn't be the case if the struts were always significantly stiffer than the OEM ones.

eqt2010 05-11-2009 09:59 PM

Is this still available? BTW, does Tokico offer lifetime warranty(like Koni) for this?