Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   INSTRUCTIONS TO: unlock NAV while in motion (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63678)

XiiiXiii 06-10-2007 05:21 PM

INSTRUCTIONS TO: disable NAV lock out while in motion

5 Attachment(s)
I've posted my theories up on other threads but here's an official write up on my tested/working way to unlock your NAV while in motion.

I spent weeks studying the wiring diagrams on both Kenwood and Subaru (If people have access to more Kenwood diagrams I'm interested in seeing them). Turns out Subaru never wired up the parking sensor to the NAV unit under the seat. I have successfully grounded that pin on the wireharness and got the NAV menues to work while driving (see attached picture for proof).

You need to ground the pin on the bottom row (2nd from left). Its the only pin on the bottom row that doesn't have a wire going to it from the Subaru harness.

You can check your work by going to the NAV's main menu (main menu->Nav setup->Nav info->Vehicle Signal). If parking brake say's ON, then you have successfully grounded the correct pin.

My picture shows some ghetto wiring because this was durring my testing trials. The white clip is just used to ground my temporary wire that I shoved into the harness. You will want to probably do a better/cleaner job then my pics show.

Description of pics in order :
-Label of the pin to ground to negative. (thanks to gnlowen, I borrowed his pic)
-Closeup of the wire I shoved in the harness
-Whole shot of the ghetto grounding job done for testing.
-Proof of menu's not locked while car is in motion (I'd take a vid, but hard to do while driving by myself. You can see that the buttons on screen aren't greyed out)
-Item to check to see if you have done it correctly

lookslikeanevo 06-10-2007 05:25 PM

nice

fweasel 06-10-2007 06:22 PM

Well done. Certainly better than the previous hack.

EquinnoxX 06-10-2007 08:45 PM

Flippin' awesome. I'm doing this tomorrow.

Thanks and you rock! :)

jaymesbry 06-10-2007 08:50 PM

good job, too bad i can never get the factory nav :(

dr_sharp 06-11-2007 01:05 AM

You're the man... this needs to be stickied.

dr_sharp 06-11-2007 01:13 AM

Also, are any of the other wires in this harness a ground wire? I would expect at least one to be grounded. If so, a small jumper wire could be used and eliminate the hastle of soldering or adding more clutter under the seat. Do I make sense?

iMouseGT 06-11-2007 09:32 AM

I can't exactly tell by the last pic, but is that the parking brake indicator light that's on? Does that mean that while you're driving if that pin is grounded your parking light indicator will always be on?

SubLo 06-11-2007 09:39 AM

Kudos! Subcribe! :lol:

Vimy101 06-11-2007 09:57 AM

Noice!

XiiiXiii 06-11-2007 12:16 PM

No thats not the parking brake light on the dash, thats the DRL indicator. The parking brake is in no way hooked up in my mod. All you are doing is giving a GROUND signal to the navigation unit. Thats basically what your parking brake does when you have it up, it sends a GROUND signal to anything that's hooked up to it.

I drove to work today with my hack and it kept me busy during traffic. Probably was a little dangerous playing with it in stop/go - low speed traffic. Oh well, at least I know it works. No more having to pull over to side of road.

dr_sharp 06-11-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMouseGT (Post 1212291)
I can't exactly tell by the last pic, but is that the parking brake indicator light that's on? Does that mean that while you're driving if that pin is grounded your parking light indicator will always be on?

Looks like DRL to me...

Vimy101 06-11-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XiiiXiii (Post 1212622)
No thats not the parking brake light on the dash, thats the DRL indicator. The parking brake is in no way hooked up in my mod. All you are doing is giving a GROUND signal to the navigation unit. Thats basically what your parking brake does when you have it up, it sends a GROUND signal to anything that's hooked up to it.

I drove to work today with my hack and it kept me busy during traffic. Probably was a little dangerous playing with it in stop/go - low speed traffic. Oh well, at least I know it works. No more having to pull over to side of road.

:lol:

Guess that's why so many things are locked out in the first place.

Sweet hack. Nice work!

lekmedm 06-11-2007 12:50 PM

Excellent work! I knew someone here would come up with a way. ;)

Now, I have a question... :confused: On that closeup pic, it looks like you're using a black wire for grounding that loops around the plug. Where did you ground that wire? Also, did you crimp some king of connector to the end of that wire? This sure is a sweet solution to this issue. Thanks!

dr_sharp 06-11-2007 01:05 PM

Is this possible without taking the seat out?