Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   07 - 08 LGT AccessPort News Digest (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62787)

sirsimon 05-28-2007 12:04 PM

07 - 08 LGT AccessPort News Digest

Hello everyone,

As therapy for my troubled mind as I wait for the AP to release, I went through what I believe to be the most active and useful threads regarding the AP release for our cars.

I copied the posts that I believe to be the most interesting, so that people can get a fairly quick overview of where we are at. Now, if the info given to ERLoft (see below, under the "Cobb Dissapointment" thread) was accurate (that there is a 24 week lead time on the hardware components required), we may be waiting until the beginning of September or so before the product is ready to ship. :eek:

Info direct from Cobb is in blue. Emphasis added in bold by me to call out key info.

--------

****From the CobbForums.com thread “2007 Legacy GT – AccessPort?”
--------

09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
mbonus
2007 Legacy GT - AccessPORT?

Hi Cobb,

Have you started testing or developing an AccessPORT that is compatable with the 2007 Legacy GT? I like the idea of the 2007 Spec-B, but I feel it would benefit from the addition of an AP. I am trying the gauge the timeframe of a AP release for the 2007s. I figure that SI drive could delay the process. Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked.

Regards,

Mike

--------

09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Trey

Yes, we will have support for the 2007 LGT including SpecB model. Expect support for all 2007 LGT/OBXT models to become available Fall/Winter '06 once the new generation AccessPORT has been released.

We've already cracked into those ECUs and we're looking forward to getting the new AccessPORT out for them soon.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

--------
With regard to SI Drive:
--------

10-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Trey

Utilizing the SI Drive is entirely possible. It'll require a bit of work on our part because Subaru didn't originally use the SI Drive for drastic switching on the ECU side of things. We are however finding it does make a noticable change in the Auto Transmission operation. Getting the AT models to drive in a way that matches their ECU mapping is something we're currently investigating. Keep in mind the Transmission control and Engine Control are two different computers in the LGT/OBXT.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

--------

02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
dimensiondesign

Another one chiming in for an update...
Any info on Accessport for SI drive? We're almost 1/2 way through the first quarter of 07.

--------

02-09-2007, 08:20 AM
dimensiondesign

Got a PM from Trey, here is the rundown.
Thanks for the update Trey.

The 07 Legacy models require a completely different hardware design to interface with the vehicle (CAN). This new hardware is in the testing phase, but not at a point where we're pulled the trigger for full scale production.

Due to lead time from electronics suppliers, I would think even end of 1st quarter would be a push. Most realistic will be sometime in the 2nd quarter.

Had the 07 Legacy used the same communication standard as 05-06, this delay would not exist. There are no extra difficulties in reprogramming the ECU due to the SI-Drive. It in itself it relatively simplistic in operation. The delay is simply due to Subaru moving to CAN on just that car for this year.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB”

--------

04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
dr_sharp

In an attempt to keep everyone as up-to-date as possible, here was the response that I got to my question regarding the AP:

"The 07 LGT AccessPORT has not been scrapped. The new cable is in production. That is what is taking so long. I still do not have an ETA, but it would be safe to say that sometime this summer the 07 LGT AccessPORT will be available."

Patience is a virtue.

--------

04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Sean

Just so you guys are aware, I've been digging through the 07 LGT/OBXT code off and on for the past couple of days, making sure that we have things ready to go once our CAN cables are ready for production. You guys certainly have not been forgotten. We will update you once we start internal testing.

Sean Covey
sean@cobbtuning.com
AccessECU Engineer, COBB Tuning
There is no knowledge which is not power.

--------
****From the LegacyGT.com forum thread entitled “Cobb Dissapointment”:
--------

04-10-2007, 09:07AM
ERLoft

I spoke with Trey Cobb two weeks ago or so, and he told me point blank that they had a working prototype for the 07 LGT and that they delay was due to a 24 week lead time for the number of components they needed to mass produce the AP and CAN bus.

The 07 LGT will not get skipped. Why? Because as of 08, EVERY SUBARU will use the CAN bus. It was a federal requirement for 07, but Subaru, Mitsu and a few other car makers got 'extensions' because they couldn't (read: didn't want to) get into compliance on time.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the delay is as frustrating to them as it is to us. They had held back on the release of the 07 AP for the Impreza & STi because they wanted to release all of the 07 AP's at once. The production delays on the CAN bus equipment caused them to finally release the STi/Impreza versions.

Yes it sucks to not be properly tuned. I know I'll get 2-5 more mpg just on getting properly tuned, along with much better performance. Oh well, s**t happens.

As for cars to be used for testing, I offered to drive mine up from LA. He laughed and said that it wasn't necessary...

--------

04-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Christian.

I wanted to bring you all up to date so that you have a better understanding of what we are doing and why it is taking the time that it is for us to come out with the 2007 LGT AccessPORTs. The 2007 vehicles are completely different as far as the ECU and ECU logic is concerned and we want to make sure that we provide you with a thoroughly tested solution. The SI-DRIVE is also another feature that we would like to use to your benefit. All of this testing and tuning takes time and the fact that a new cable needs to be designed, tested, and produced is not an easy task. The last part is the customer support issues which we want to make sure that we can handle. The long story short is that we are a group of normal people that can only be here from 9-5, Monday-Friday. We have just released the 2007 WRX and 2007 STi AccessPORTs and we need to be available to our clients so we can answer questions for them concerning our device:
How long does the flashing process take?
Where are the test mode connectors on my vehicle?
Can I use X Brand intake system with StageX calibration? If no, why not?
What is my target boost supposed to be?
How can I read boost with my AccessPORT? Etc.

The reality is that if we release products for several different platforms at once then our servers and phone system will get overloaded and we will end up pissing off more people just because they cannot get a hold of us. That with the fact that we had the 2007 WRX and 2007 STi test vehicles readily available to use well ahead of any new LGT test vehicles. This is no longer the case, matter of fact I am bringing in a 2007 LGT MT for some initial testing later this week. We also have 2007 LGT ATs and LGT Spec Bs readily available now so this is what we are currently focusing on. I cannot give you a specific release date because I do not have the ability to see the entire big picture, although I would guess that the 2007 LGT AccessPORTs should be available some time in mid-late 2nd quarter or very early 3rd quarter. I will make myself available to answer any questions you may have about the 2007 LGT AccessPORTs.

Take care,
Christian.
Last edited by Christian. : 04-11-2007 at 11:30 AM.

--------

04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy View Post
“My reccomendation to Cobb would be some updates regarding common 2007 questions many of us have.”

I will do my best to answer your questions about the new AccessPORT for the 2007 LGT, although I would like to stick to Legacy or at lease Subaru only questions in this thread.

Quote:
“I'm ok waiting for the right hardware/software to be completed. However, if they're going to get these answers along the way, sharing them with the community is probably a good way to keep people engaged and interested.”

Will do, I will do what I can to share our findings.

Quote:
“- Are there differences between 07 SpecB and GT engines/ECU? (my hypothesis is no)”

I do not know, my guess is no. We have not brought in a SpecB for extensive testing since we do not have what we need here to be able to get effective testing performed. As soon as we have the necessary equipment, we will bring that vehicle in for detailed testing.

Quote:
“- What differences are there between 07 and previous years? We know about the uppipe, but any info regarding the heads, the new turbo part #, the ECU and stock tune, etc.”

I am not sure of the exact details, we have been extensively cataloging the size of the intake, the restrictor pill size, the WG pre-tension, etc. on all models so we can add to our database. Once those variables are known, we will update our "AccessECU Calibration & Tuning Guide Worksheet for Subarus v1.XX" The SI-Drive and ECU are the most significant changes IMO.

Quote:
“- What differences, if any, stock v. stock are they observing on their dyno.”

I will go look at the dyno results today and I will try to get you a summary later today or tomorrow.

Quote:

“Give us some insight regarding this along the way and I'd be a more than happy/patient camper.”

We will do our best to keep you all updated.

--------
(SIRSIMON'S NOTE: I removed two Q&As, one about the Evo, one about the MS3.)
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2u2 View Post

“Well don’t get to excited, even though I have volunteered I’m a bit disappointed that they pretty much said, thank you for volunteering we will let you know when we are ready for you, When ever that will be……….. And the people who were in charge of making that decision wouldn’t even talk to me; they sent the message through their front guy. So maybe they will email me but who knows…… as a new person to this world of Subaru Performance, it seams to me that they know that they have a pretty good hold on the market, and the attitude (at least my impression of their attitude) is that they don’t care that much about their customers because people are going to buy their product anyway. I heard a lot of good things about COBB products, but what is it worth if no one will talk to you except their front guys who don’t know anything……….

Trey hop you get a chance to read this, you have great products, but you need someone who will help you portray your dedication to research and design better to your customers……”

Um, I am not sure what to say other than we apologize. We apologize for not being able to use your vehicle for testing on a product that we do not have finished yet??? Please do not be offended, although, you need to understand that if we are to use a client's vehicle it will be done in a manner that least affects the client. Since I do not know how long the testing will take and the fact that I have several 2007 LGTs at my disposal (family, friends, associates, etc.) means that I would like to get the extensive and potentially inconvenient R&D smoothed out to a point where the testing of a client's car can be convenient. Unless you have the ability to leave the vehicle with us for days on end then I highly suggest you wait until we are ready for appropriate testing. R&D is not rocket science...but it is close and the consequences of something going wrong can be expensive and timely. I will say thank you for volunteering and we will do our best to communicate with you when we will be ready for testing. Until then I think us calling you every day to say that we are not ready would be more frustrating than getting one phone call asking if you are still interested and if this XXX specific testing would be appropriate to you.

Our team up front was just relaying a message which I am sure I asked them to. If you think you were inappropriately treated, you are welcome to e-mail me with your concerns and we could discuss this from there.

Take care,
Christian.

Infamous1 05-28-2007 01:04 PM

They seem to be no closer to a release, im glad I picked up the 06 vs the 07. looks like you guys should opt for the piggybacks and go from there.

bmorrisj 05-28-2007 01:18 PM

i would be kind of annoyed if ppl kept asking me "when is it going to be finished"....like its going to make the release come any sooner...

sirsimon 05-28-2007 01:44 PM

^ Yes, but Cobb is a business. Businesses *like* people to be eager to purchase their products.

bmorrisj 05-28-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirsimon (Post 1188589)
^ Yes, but Cobb is a business. Businesses *like* people to be eager to purchase their products.

very true..... patience is welcome on both sides of the fence....

edkwon 05-28-2007 02:47 PM

ECUTEK is already beta testing their CAN bus cables, they might come out sooner, so i'm simply waiting for them, get my car tuned, and watch the first release of the 07 APs come out, see if there are any serious bugs in the first batch release, once that time has passed (probably in early 08, i'll consider purchasing an AP.

sirsimon 05-28-2007 03:05 PM

^ That is the same thinking I have at this point.

Legacy BoB 05-29-2007 11:32 AM

Never want to be the first person to try our something, but it's just good to hear they are still working on it.

sutter2k 05-29-2007 12:03 PM

does enguinuity work?

sirsimon 05-29-2007 12:37 PM

^ Not yet - as there are currently no cables that have the correct pin-out.

2005garnetGT 05-29-2007 12:40 PM

what is this, the cobb trail of tears?

how long have you guys been jerked around for?
6-7 months now?

SWP-LegacyGT 05-29-2007 07:27 PM

Honestly, this is kind of a joke and makes Cobb look pretty bad.

fonts 05-29-2007 07:43 PM

Good work and great post sirsimon.

Glad to see that there is somebody out there trying to get info. on the AP for the 2007 to all members.

Thanks

EquinnoxX 05-29-2007 08:26 PM

I really don't see what the big deal is. Ok its a new car, it takes time to develop and understand the technology. I completely understand that.

And that is why I'm concentrating on suspension, brakes and other mods until an AP is available for my car.

Sure it's arguably the best bang for the buck mod but its not like its the only mod out there. :)

2005garnetGT 05-29-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquinnoxX (Post 1190817)
I really don't see what the big deal is. Ok its a new car, it takes time to develop and understand the technology. I completely understand that.

And that is why I'm concentrating on suspension, brakes and other mods until an AP is available for my car.

Sure it's arguably the best bang for the buck mod but its not like its the only mod out there. :)

have you been waiting since fall of 06 when they originally said it was coming out?