Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bilstein PSS coilovers? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62532)

unclemat 05-24-2007 10:28 AM

Bilstein PSS coilovers?

Anyone with experience with them on other cars?

Bilstein Japan sells BSSKIT, which are PSS coilovers (not adjustable dampening) for Legacy. This is the same stuff as STI coilovers - probably with custom dampening and springs (and big bucks).

I called Bilstein USA and asked them if they have any plans about bringing them here - they said no, probably they don't believe the market justifies. I explained how wrong is that, given scarcity of suspension upgrades for our cars in the US, plus how well Bilsteins HDs sell... :rolleyes:

Anyway I am thinking about importing a set from Japan... I am wondering if any members have experience with them on other cars before pulling the trigger.

rao 05-24-2007 10:32 AM

The market is way too small.

They are highly thought of - I almost bought a set for the BMW and when doing the research they were uniformly praised, which is unusual, especially with that crowd.

unclemat 05-24-2007 10:34 AM

Cool, how street friendly are they? I indeed came accross a review on a BMW board indicating they are civilized enough... basically I am looking for ride like JDM SpecB Bilsteins, stiffer springs, lowering about 1 inch and height adjustability for even wheel gap.

I am bit unimpressed with KWs although the jury is still out since the fronts on mine were slightly borked (sent them for repair).

unclemat 05-24-2007 01:23 PM

oh, well, I am ordering them... $1550 later I'll see if they are worth that...

whitetiger 05-24-2007 01:26 PM

hey, unclemat. how many suspension setups have you gone through so far? Why has nothing satisfied you yet? Any particular qualities you are looking for?

unclemat 05-24-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger (Post 1183036)
hey, unclemat. how many suspension setups have you gone through so far? Why has nothing satisfied you yet? Any particular qualities you are looking for?

Let's see...

1. stock
2. JDM GT Rev.C
3. JDM SpecB Rev.B w/Pinks
4. Ohlins with Pinks
5. JDM SpecB Rev.C w/OEM
6. KW Variant 2

I want the damn quick Bilstein dampening in coilover package for lowering and even stance :)

whitetiger 05-24-2007 01:28 PM

ah. are you still running just a jdm rear sway for swaybars?

unclemat 05-24-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger (Post 1183044)
ah. are you still running just a jdm rear sway for swaybars?

Yup. Can't say for sure but with coilovers I don't think anything more is needed...

rao 05-24-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 1183039)

I want the damn quick Bilstein dampening in coilover package for lowering and even stance :)

I think you are going to get that.

Streetable is in the eye of the beholder, for me, the HD's in the Legacy are not streetable ;)

whitetiger 05-24-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 1183046)
Yup. Can't say for sure but with coilovers I don't think anything more is needed...

not true. After I put my 25mm bars in, it made a world of difference. before, i thought my coilovers were too soft due to to the body roll i was still getting during autox. After the bars, the setup is perfect. Remember, the stiffer the shocks and springs, the less the swaybars have to work. I bet if you upgrade your bars before you get your coilovers, you may find that what you have is actually good enough.

unclemat 05-24-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger (Post 1183062)
not true. After I put my 25mm bars in, it made a world of difference. before, i thought my coilovers were too soft due to to the body roll i was still getting during autox. After the bars, the setup is perfect. Remember, the stiffer the shocks and springs, the less the swaybars have to work. I bet if you upgrade your bars before you get your coilovers, you may find that what you have is actually good enough.

Depends what ones after. I didn't have much complaints in body roll department with KWs. I have a set of Swifts bars waiting for install... but they'll wait little more.

In meantime: LCA bushings, STI lateral links, cusco braces front and rear.

The first from the list goes on next weekend at your place :)

Han'sGT 05-24-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 1182612)
basically I am looking for ride like JDM SpecB Bilsteins, stiffer springs,lowering about 1 inch and height adjustability for even wheel gap.

You'll have to try my set up once it's on. JDM GT REV A...you said with pinks they were very similiar to your JDM Spec B Rev B and Pinks yet a bit more comfortable while having very good performance. Instead of pinks I've got Swifts..."stiffer" which is want you want. Lowers 10mm more in the front vs. rear...nice for the wagon. Just a thought, but if I know you....you've already got the coilovers on the water. :lol:

whitetiger 05-24-2007 02:34 PM

well when you say you want better dampening, what exatly are you looking to improve? turn-in response front end weight transfer, or ride quality.

On my teins, i found that ride quality and turn-in(with the PSRS) was great, but the car would still not react the wanted though a turn. it seems like i was still getting to much weight transfer to the front and my tail would start to come out, and then when i try to correct, it would snap back the other way. With the fat sway bars, the car is now totally controlable, and i can feel the rear rotating alot better now.

Waht im trying to say, is that you may be buying these new coiloverto fix a problem you think you have but might actually not have. If i were you, id put your sways on and see if you still need better dampening.

Han'sGT 05-24-2007 02:39 PM

I believe his only complaints with the Spec B Rev B/Pink set up was that it was too harsh on some roads and he wanted to be able to lift the rear.

whitetiger 05-24-2007 02:42 PM

well, he had kw v2 coilovers too. what was the problem with those?