Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Walkthroughs :: Basic Operation & Maintenance (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62304)

robertsm99 05-21-2007 01:17 PM

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

5 Attachment(s)
Alright, so I was pretty fed up with the whole chiming thing and was trying to figure out a way to pull the base of the seatbelt apart b/c I was going to unplugg whatever was causing the stupid chime to continually go off. I tried the 30x click thing and it'd work sometimes and other times it wouldn't.

So, today I had a little bit of freetime and decided to see if I couldn't pop the housing off. I used 2 standard eyeglass screw drivers, pretty thin, and was able to pry off the cover to the base of the seatbelt. Surprisingly enough when I managed to open it up, all there is a a white plastic switch that needs to be slid down and that will turn off the chime permanently.

Below are some pictures I took while doing it, it only took about 15 min and very minimal damage to the housing, I'm sure if you have something thinner to slide in there, you won't damage the housing at all. I'm going to go back in later and put some tape over it to ensure that it stays that way.

Enjoy.

Here are the pictures of what I did for those that want to do it as well.
For any questions feel free to PM me.

Paradiso 05-21-2007 01:23 PM

I nominate you for F*in genius of the day award!

Gitster 05-21-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradiso (Post 1176017)

Nice but theres an easier way, with no cutting required and no disassembly of the locking mechanism....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...=disable+chime

rao 05-21-2007 01:27 PM

I tried that with my Odyssey and it made the Passenger Air Bag Off light go on all of the time.

There is a much easier way for the Legacy.

robertsm99 05-21-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitster (Post 1176019)
Nice but theres an easier way, with no cutting required and no disassembly of the locking mechanism....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...=disable+chime

It's not disassembling the locking mechanism, I'd never tempt to play with that part of the seatbelt, just the plastic housing around it, and it's another way to do it instead of cutting the wire as some have done under the seat or for those who don't feel comfortable with disconnecting a wire.

Just another option, and not a lot of work to do it.

P.S. Still wear your seatbelts, as advocated by the law, smokey the bear, the popo and other folks who care for your safety etc.... :)

Gitster 05-21-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm99 (Post 1176048)
It's not disassembling the locking mechanism, I'd never tempt to play with that part of the seatbelt, just the plastic housing around it, and it's another way to do it instead of cutting the wire as some have done under the seat or for those who don't feel comfortable with disconnecting a wire.

Just another option, and not a lot of work to do it.

P.S. Still wear your seatbelts, as advocated by the law, smokey the bear, the popo and other folks who care for your safety etc.... :)

I know, I got it. Options are good :)

robertsm99 05-22-2007 07:50 PM

Just an update, I went back and put a piece of tape over the plastic piece to keep it in place and it actually doesn't work. You can't buckle the seatbelt with it in place, but without the tape it still works and the chime doesn't return.

It is so nice not constantly hearing that chime anymore!!!! :)

OhBe1 05-25-2007 10:45 AM

So, the next question is - does it work on the passenger side?
Purely academic, of course...

robertsm99 05-25-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhBe1 (Post 1184930)
So, the next question is - does it work on the passenger side?
Purely academic, of course...

Well I took apart the passenger side first to see what the beep was, and of course there's no switch like that, but from what I've found the passanger side is shut off as well and hasn't beeped since doing it. I'm pretty sure of it, but havn't taken too many people in my car to really notice if it's off.

Max Capacity 06-29-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradiso (Post 1176017)

Wrong, he's a freak'in god.

Just did this in about 2 minutes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Yes you need to leave the cover open a bit but who cares.

It's only a subaru anyway's.

robertsm99 07-03-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 1242384)
Wrong, he's a freak'in god.

Just did this in about 2 minutes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Yes you need to leave the cover open a bit but who cares.

It's only a subaru anyway's.

If you piece it back together right, it should go right back in and not be open at all. I think you just need to pop the top back over the part that flips down.

Also, since the earlier posts, I have had a chance to test it out, and it DOES disable the passenger side as well. No more chimes except when you first start the car!

mccorry 07-03-2007 04:24 PM

?????

And this was easier than the 20 click method?

robertsm99 07-03-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccorry (Post 1248355)
?????

It's more permanent than the 20 click method and is only undone if the dealer or someone goes in there and flips that white switch back. The 20 click method can and does reset itself at time. I know I tried the 20 click method numerous times and it didn't always work, this does.

I guarantee you or double your money back :lol:

(P.S. unless you give me money, I can't give you double back if you are unhappy with it)

Max Capacity 07-06-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccorry (Post 1248355)
?????

YEP, IMO much easier.

I use two small common screwdrivers. The kind geeks wear in the shirt pockets. I'm sure you know or have one or two... :)

Max Capacity 07-06-2007 10:16 AM

Also, since the earlier posts, I have had a chance to test it out, and it DOES disable the passenger side as well. No more chimes except when you first start the car![/QUOTE]

Yes I had my friend in the car Saturday and she didn't set off the stupid chime.

I asked her if she wanted me to fix her chime, 05 OB. She said it doesn't bother her.

women...