Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Naturally Aspirated Powertrains (2.5i, 3.0R, 3.6R)) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60648)

Rallitek.com 04-30-2007 07:13 PM

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

AVO makes a turbo kit for the Impreza. It has fit issues with Legacy 2.5i due to a top mount intercooler. Ross and I are working on a new FMIC kit for the '05+ Impreza/Legacy 2.5i. At the end of this month. Full production kits will be avilable late summer this year.

Here is a link to the current turbo kit for Impreza 00-04:

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

I welcome your input!

Sean S.

rao 04-30-2007 07:15 PM

Looks like cheap fun. The extra injector makes things easy.

rao 04-30-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heightsgtltd (Post 1139290)
some might say 3500 is a good bit of cash ;)

It is, but it is reasonable for a turbo kit ;) I mean who can put a price on MaD PoWEr????

BDII 04-30-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heightsgtltd (Post 1139290)
some might say 3500 is a good bit of cash ;)

:cool:

kiyanichenko 05-01-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rallitek.com (Post 1139281)
AVO makes a turbo kit for the Impreza. It has fit issues with Legacy 2.5i due to a top mount intercooler. Ross and I are working on a new FMIC kit for the '05+ Impreza/Legacy 2.5i. At the end of this month. Full production kits will be avilable late summer this year.

Here is a link to the current turbo kit for Impreza 00-04:

http://www.rallitek.com/avocotukit.html

I welcome your input!

Sean S.

will our engines be able to handle max psi of this turbo kit?

pansontw 05-01-2007 12:51 AM

Stock 2.5i $24000 + turbo kit $3500 <$30k, might be a good deal for people who are looking for economic power mod.:rolleyes:

rao 05-01-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pansontw (Post 1139789)
Stock 2.5i $24000 + turbo kit $3500 <$30k, might be a good deal for people who are looking for economic power mod.:rolleyes:

For the people that this appeals to it will make lots of sense :lol:

Ridgeracer 05-01-2007 07:03 AM

you guys still picking on the 2.5i people...??

LegacyMUN2k6 05-01-2007 07:11 AM

This is a cheaper route for people who either have a car thats paid off, keeping the car for the long run, or do not wish to lose a good chunk of coin on trading in for a gt.

Rallitek.com 05-01-2007 08:27 AM

For some folks adding a turbo to a non-turbo car allows much cheaper insurance as well.

-Sean S.

LegacyMUN2k6 05-01-2007 08:29 AM

We all can't be as the kwl as most of the old farts who have a GT.

Rallitek.com 05-01-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiyanichenko (Post 1139781)
will our engines be able to handle max psi of this turbo kit?

The kit is designed to run @ 5psi. The stock engines can handle up to 5psi on pump gas with proper tuning no worries.

(Most run into issues with DIY turbo kits because minimum boost on most turbos is 8psi, which is just too much for the stock engine. A low pressure turbo kit needs proper engineering and tuning)

-Sean S.

LegacyMUN2k6 05-01-2007 08:51 AM

You should create a braking and suspension package togo along with the turbo kit.

Hanger 05-01-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegacyMUN2k6 (Post 1140037)
This is a cheaper route for people who either have a car thats paid off, keeping the car for the long run, or do not wish to lose a good chunk of coin on trading in for a gt.

i might consider this after my warranty is out... i paid in full when i picked up my car ;)

vxracer 05-01-2007 11:33 AM

On another note...

Only running at low boost would allow for the use of a smaller and/or faster spooling turbocharger. This would compensate for no MAD upper rpm boost, and make it much more streetable as an everyday driver with a flatter powerband. I know the older wrx's with auto trannies made use of a smaller turbo to compensate for it having a slushbox auto tranny with less gears, although it still ran much higher boost than we are talking here.

Also, if someone is going to use a FMIC, boost MAY be allowed to go a little higher. A cooler air charge allows either less octane, or more psi. The whole formula for boost is like a fire triangle. PSI, octane, and air temperature. All three directly relate to detonation. Mess the ratio up, and KABOOM. No one should ever touch a car if they cant chat these three to the cars' owner. If they dont know, they dont know how to tune. Modify one, and it affects the others. The drawback to a FMIC is longer lag time due to more cubic feet of tubing that has to be pressurized before "boost" is acheived. Also, if only 5-6 psi is needed, then a turbo that can generate 30 psi is WAAAAYYYYY out of context here, although cfm does play a small role. Thats like grandma with a 600 hp blown grocery getter corvette or something. You just wont use it, and it will not operate as good as something designed for the task.

I see a huge benefit of having a tiny turbocharger boost instantly, and then allow that same 5-6 psi to apply to the entire powerband, especially for someone that drives at elevations higher than sea level. Imagine a dyno curve entirely raised entirely about 20 hp minimum. This same rational idea is like saying a N/A Honda is faster than a scooby due to more horsepower only in the last 1000 rpm of acceleration = big huge top end turbo VS. a N/A Subaru that has loads of broad rpm horsepower across a larger section of rpms = small broad rpm turbo. Basically, how much shifting do you want to do to equal the same thing? There are pros and cons to each depending on use. I dont know any hondas that have the torque or ability to start in 2nd gear(although my VX can in 3rd. hehehehe). Anyone?

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: