Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dealer 05 GT Recall on Fan Relay + ECU programming= (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57059)

CRAZY KEN 03-16-2007 11:51 PM

Dealer 05 GT Recall on Fan Relay + ECU programming=

Are they going to ruin my Map?

Will I have to reinstall TDC Stage II map?

If I have to will it also whip out the Dealer/Manufactures setting and bring back the fan relay problem?

nyone done or heard of this?

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

2005garnetGT 03-16-2007 11:53 PM

yeah.

you need to revert to stock.

CRAZY KEN 03-17-2007 12:03 AM

hmm...

...so revert back to stock...goto the dealer...have them install relay and program ecu...get back car and load TDC Stage Map...and I should have NO PROBLEMS after that!!!

Did I get that right?

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

Jedi Pimp 03-17-2007 12:07 AM

ECU replacment is only necessary if the old one is damaged. Otherwise they just pop in a new relay.

mickeyd2005 03-17-2007 12:11 AM

I would completely unmarry the ECU. Even if they don't replace it, there's always the chance that they may decide to flash it. The Cobb ROM is based on an older ROM so if the dealer sees the older ROM, they might decide to update it.

One forum member already had this happen. He was complaining that Cobb wanted $40 to fix it (plus shipping etc...).

Beanboy 03-17-2007 01:00 AM

Errr, forum member was not in for this recall for the second round of AP issues. Was a CEL issue. No reason whatsoever to flash ecu for this recall. New ecu is needed if fans are always on, and it should be damn obvious if your fans are on. In that case, yes, unmarry.

No worries about AP if you fans aren't on, at least for any brain dead beyond the normal brain dead dealer.

mickeyd2005 03-17-2007 01:11 AM

^^^ I know that the previous incident wasn't this recall.

I'm just saying the dealer might decide to check if the car needs a flash update. In fact, in the previous incident, the problem was the O2 sensor. The dealer only needed to turn it off the CEL with a standard OBDII analyzer after replacing the sensor. Instead, the dealer decided to hook up the diagnostic connectors and check his ROM and then reflashed it even though a new flash wasn't needed to fix the problem.

Personally, I would not want to risk it... even if it is a small chance. I would always revert to stock if I left the car at the dealer.

SubiGT 03-17-2007 02:17 AM

I am getting a new ECU under the fan relay recall next week, so I will un-marry when I get to the dealer. Has anyone not been able to re-marry after getting the new ECU?

dv/dt 03-17-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubiGT (Post 1059804)
I am getting a new ECU under the fan relay recall next week, so I will un-marry when I get to the dealer. Has anyone not been able to re-marry after getting the new ECU?

me too. same question.

Also, was/is there an issue w/ old AP's (v1) and newer ecus?

Jon [in CT] 03-17-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubiGT (Post 1059804)

If your AP was manufactured before Mar 1, 2005, then you'll get an Incorrect ECU Version error message when you try to marry it if the dealer has replaced or reprogrammed your ECU.

Spec B 03-17-2007 12:08 PM

More info here... http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55332

I need to take mine in also, I will be reverting back to stock in the dealer parking lot...just in case.

SubiGT 03-17-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon [in CT] (Post 1060062)
If your AP was manufactured before Mar 1, 2005, then you'll get an Incorrect ECU Version error message when you try to marry it if the dealer has replaced or reprogrammed your ECU.

How do you find build date? I bought my AP v1 in April 2006, but have no idea how long it sat on a shelf before I got it.

Mr. T 03-17-2007 01:44 PM

Guys, I just went through this this last week. My fans were running (I had already purchased the new relay to avoid a trip to the dealership but,,,)

Took the car in Monday morning. I parked it in a tech's service bay who was on vacation. I then un-married my Accessport (with a TDC base map) from the ECU. Due to the mods (TGV delete and all), I told them that the car could not be started with the stock ecu in place and that I would need to re-install my programming after the new ecu was installed. They agreed, allowed my car to stay inside and didn't do anything to it execpt to remove the old ecu and install the new one.

Took car in on Monday, They called me Wednesday at 1 PM to tell me that the new ecu was in and to come on in. I went in and reloaded the base map and the real time map (my dyno tuning) back into the ecu.

However, when I went to start the car, it wouldn't start. After a couple of minutes, the chief tech remembered that our cars have an anti-theft immobilizer and the keys have a transponder in them and need to be "reintroduced" (or something like that) to the new ecu. Bring all your keys with you because they have to do them all at the same time. He did the reintroduction and the car started right up.

Just make sure you follow the directions when unmarrying and loading into the new ecu.

Hope this helps.

CRAZY KEN 03-17-2007 03:09 PM

Wow!!!

My car does stay on...thankfully my dealership is cool! They say the total time for relay and ECU replacement will take 1-1.5 hrs. So I'll stay with them throughout the whole thing.

Thanks guys,

CRAZY KEN

P.S. What happens if I totally ignore this relay recall...what will happen?

dv/dt 03-17-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubiGT (Post 1060165)
How do you find build date? I bought my AP v1 in April 2006, but have no idea how long it sat on a shelf before I got it.

once again...I have the same question. :)

How do you find the build date of an AP?