Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cruise control light blinking? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56857)

02BlkRex 03-14-2007 12:05 PM

Cruise control light blinking?

Anyone ever have the cruise control light in the instrument cluster continuously blink after starting the car?

This has happened to me several times so far. I RTFM and it seems that if you do something with the cruise control lever while starting the car, it disables cruise control and you get the blinking light.

My question is why would you ever need to disable cruise control? If you don't want to use cruise control, don't turn it on. Sometimes my wheel is turned with the cruise control stalk pointed down and I guess I hit it with my knee as I'm starting the car. Turning the car off and then back on while not touching the stalk re-enables the cruise control. Weird and annoying feature if you ask me.

puzzled 03-14-2007 01:33 PM

Is the check engine light also lit? I have never seen just that light blink.

02BlkRex 03-14-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puzzled (Post 1054895)
Is the check engine light also lit? I have never seen just that light blink.

Nope, just the cruise control light. The manual says it does that when disabled and tells you how to disable it. I just don't get why you'd ever disable cruise control. Am I missing something? It's kinda a pain since my knee hits it from time to time so I have to deal with the blinking light all 10 minutes of my drive to work. :spin:

puzzled 03-14-2007 04:25 PM

Well good to know in case I have it happen.

Gary Bechtold 07-17-2009 05:21 PM

Slight thread resurrection. I just had the Cruise Control Light Blink with no CEL light. Cruise didn't work obviously. Shut the car off, turned it back on, no blinky Cruise light. Car runs fine. Getting a bit concerned. Had the lights on my radio/air con blink off then on for a small bit on a long trip back from Austin, TX to Chicago around the Dallas area. Never did it again. It also did change the temps on it's own by a few degrees on the dual zone climate control. Hmmm? Car did sit in a garage for two months.

burnout8488 08-12-2009 09:15 PM

Resurrecting this.... My cruise light flashes (with no CEL) if I go up steep inclines, or full throttle the car a lot. I have an exhaust leak somewhere and it smells awful when the cruise light starts blinking. I really wish the CEL would trip, but it never does.

Also, my cruise decides to shut off intermittently on it's own. I can't even use it anymore, it turns off randomly. I'm thinking it might be related to emissions somehow?

airborne200208 12-27-2009 03:32 AM

From the dead!

My cruise light blinks with out cel when I do doughnuts on ice. But if you restart the car it goes away.

So yeah.

galpdawg 12-27-2009 12:02 PM

today my cruise control light started blinking but the CEL is also on, anyone give me some guidance..i think it happend after i accelerated out of my development and hit a patch of snow so the car had to grip hard and the engine stutered a bit :(

LittleBlueGT 12-27-2009 05:26 PM

I started to see this when I has having AFR oscillations (due to me changing location of front O2) and I would sometimes get a CEL.

You can have temporary DTCs (trouble codes) and memorized DTCs.

AFAIK if it is a temporary one, just the cruise control light will flash, /if/when it becomes a memorized one, both the CEl and cruise control light will flash.

If you want to see what it is use LV (Learning View............. search if you don't know what that is) and check the ECU when the car is still running, don't turn it off, as you will likely lose the code.

galpdawg 12-30-2009 10:30 AM

went to get it checked out and i was told i need a new knock sensor..so i gotta call subaru and see if its covered under my extended warrenty

GTTuner 02-01-2011 09:57 AM

Resurected again, I had this happen the other night when I nailed 2nd gear WOT the shifted. No codes were present. Restart and it was fine. I wonder if it was an over boost that my fuel cut defender blocked?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT (Post 2761058)
I started to see this when I has having AFR oscillations (due to me changing location of front O2) and I would sometimes get a CEL.

You can have temporary DTCs (trouble codes) and memorized DTCs.

AFAIK if it is a temporary one, just the cruise control light will flash, /if/when it becomes a memorized one, both the CEl and cruise control light will flash.

If you want to see what it is use LV (Learning View............. search if you don't know what that is) and check the ECU when the car is still running, don't turn it off, as you will likely lose the code.

GooseSRH 06-12-2014 08:30 PM

The cruise control light is flashing and the CEL light is on.. Tried the restart method and no go.. What should I do?

solo413 06-12-2014 09:56 PM

I had this issue about a year ago it ended up being a cracked valve, my luck of course when they got to the cracked valve it was actually a crack in the small block, Subaru looked out for me and they replaced the small block, valves, and gaskets for 500

f1anatic 08-26-2014 09:44 PM

I had this blinking cruise control 2 nights ago, first time ever. No CEL, not even temporary blinking. Very humid and hot outside. Happened under duh...cruise conditions at about 60 mph - not much load. It seemed that the car whined a bit momentarily but continued to drive fine. After a restart, it worked fine. It worked fine today, and I did test it at sustained high speeds.

Over the past half a year, I did have some problems with the Air Fuel Sensors, and I did replace the front one, due to oscillations in driving feel, while on cruise control, discussed elsewhere on this site.